Friday, January 26, 2018

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

Time to read first thing in the morning. I have to limit myself because I could spend the whole day lost in a book, but I don't. I finished this memoir this week. It was dark and uncomfortable, but Maude's story spoke to the incredible strength of the human spirit.


Now I'm reading Nourished. This author comes off as a bit haughty not humble, but it's not off-putting enough that I feel like abandoning the book. I'm just making mental notes about voice for the memoir I may one day write.


Feast or famine lately as my kitchen inspiration ebbs and flows, but this week it was feast. My family pretty much ate like royalty this week. Thursday is leftover night and it was probably better than a normal night in most kitchens. (Aren't I humble?) I clear my head when I'm busy in the kitchen. I made another batch of  Smitten Kitchen's blueberry muffins with a cup and a half of berries and a glug of vanilla this time. They were better with these tweaks.


I made a lovely bechamel sauce that was the base for a white mac and cheese from Bread Toast Crumb. The family enjoyed it, but prefers my classic recipe. If I do make this again, I will add something sharp like Provolone to the Parmesan and the fresh mozzarella. I'll also add a third of the bread crumb topping. I halved it this time and still found it a bit dry.



I finally tried this risotto. I added only 1 leek and I skipped the onion and still the oniony flavor was overwhelming. I don't think I'll make this one again as no one in my family much enjoyed it. It sure was sexy though. I plan to use the hefty amount of leftovers to make arincini.



Peanut's Yoda impersonation.


Tigger the watch-cat.


Kids and cats.



Mike and Lily are both feeling better. 

Playtime.


The kids had golf lessons yesterday. Inside. The pro was very impressed by Lily's swing and she's enjoying learning this new sport in time to join the golf team this summer.



Ted and I attended the parish council meeting at church last night and found out that they're proposing to add a youth minister position. That's very exciting for my kids.

Self-control. Being thoughtful and deliberate with my words. Excusing myself from the conversation when healthy.

No comments: