Tuesday, December 5, 2017

be.here.now


One of the first things I do on these December mornings is plug in the trees. There's something about the twinkling lights that sets the right tone. This morning the sky just before sunrise caught my eye. It was dynamic. Expressive. Resplendent. I went out to take a picture knowing it would only capture a trace of what I witnessed. I opened the door and immediately confirmed that the cold front came through over night. The whipping wind was sobering. Abrasive. Forewarning. I heard it raging all night long. It made me feel thankful for my cozy house...my shelter from the storm.

And storm it did. Thunder and lightning in December. I stepped out after dark to take in the completed decorations. The air was oddly moist and warm. I went out to the street to get the passersby view. I approved. We're not the Griswolds. Our approach is less is more, classy, calm.


Cozy too. I never left the house yesterday. I planned to, but then I didn't want to. So I didn't. Coziness is hard to resist. Candace came for coffee before she went to work and we lessened our loads. It's what friends do: purge, listen, advise. We confirmed we both had better days because of our cup of coffee. I made chicken stock, which became chicken enchilada soup for dinner. Soup is love in a bowl. I played Christmas music all day as I finally decorated my dining room tree with my Mom's ornaments. It's something I do alone year after year. Well, I don't really feel alone. I always feel my Mom's presence. And I feel peace.


After school and sports, the kids helped me put ornaments on our living room tree. We no longer have room for all the beautiful memories. I consider that a lucky problem to have. I spared them all the stories. They know them. 



I always find myself slowing down and staying in during the month of December. Yes, it's a month of celebration, but that which I most revere is right here.

No comments: