Thursday, August 10, 2017

Windmill Beach Birthday Weekending

All we have is now. We had what was. We might have something more, but there’s no warrant for the future.

With that in mind, I’ve been absent because I’ve been present. 

There was a time I would have said busy. There was also a time I would have made myself busier by forcing myself to come here even if time didn’t allow. There was another time when I would have left the now for the then. Left as in disengaged from. Now as in contemporaneous. Then as in previous. Yep, I would have ceased making memories simply to record them so terrified that they might slip from my mind before they were captured, excavated, curated.

But one of the things I’ve learned as I embrace this middle place in my life is that the joy moments and bright spots don’t fade or fizzle no matter how they are or are not commemorated. They remain. They sustain. They continue to shine.

I’ve also learned: it’s a waste of time to spit shine my house every week, I cannot shop without lists, I don’t go anywhere without my cheaters, it’s important to celebrate everything and say I love you as often as you say goodbye or good night, naps are essential, Alexa may be spying on me and I’m OK with that, I should always let my husband pick the movie and probably what I order at the restaurant, everyone is going through something so kindness matters and forgiveness rules sublime, apologies are almost always welcome and accepted, and it’s impossible to take too many pictures.

The pictures take me right back in time and I feel all the feels present when they were taken. They are samskaras manifested. Prints that imprint upon my heart and soul.

We took a great many photographs last weekend. Family gathered from here and there, and far and away to celebrate birthdays, summer and the simple blessings of being together.

Here is the evidence…



The gracious host and hostess photo bombed by the guest of honor.

The quaint scene.

The picturesque front yard.

Cousins arrived from NYC and Denver very late Thursday night. We stayed up until very early Friday morning catching up. It's always the drill and we know it. We made our way north to Windmill Beach Friday evening and the comfortably chilly Lake Michigan water was just what we needed. The broody late day sky was the perfect back drop for cocktails and selfies on the beach. The wavy water made kayaking a little challenging and boogie boarding possible.


After evening fall, which is what my brother prefers to call the gloaming, we ordered pizza, celebrated Knox's 17th birthday and played Shut Box. As you can see...we didn't have any fun at all and we stayed up until the wee hours again. In fact, some of us went swimming under the stars and one of us sprained an ankle by stepping in a hole on the dark beach.


Saturday we celebrated Lily's thirteenth birthday at Windmill Beach, one of her favorite places. It was a beautiful day of favorites: people, food and pastimes.  My brother and sister-in-law made the day special in every way and I know my girl felt how lucky and loved she is. 

 Lemon cake with raspberry mousse and vanilla buttercream at the birthday girl's request. It was almost too pretty to eat.

 Happy Birthday Lily Kathleen.

Happy Brad.

Of course, a rainbow showed up in the sky.

It was a great beach day. Despite the fact that it was a little overcast, the air was temperate and the water warm. Lily is happiest when she's in the water so she was in her element. We served many of her favorite foods: Grandpa's guacamole, my homemade salsa and Dad's bbq wings for appetizers, and a taco bar with all the the fixings for dinner.


After dinner, we played 13 Questions: How Well Do You Know Lily. It was good silly fun and she felt special being the center of the attention. She was sufficiently spoiled sweet, and got most everything on her birthday list including a trip to NYC in October, which was not something she asked for or expected.


Sadly Sunday we cleaned up, packed up and headed home. 

It was hard to leave this scene and also hard to say goodbye to TJ and Knox who were Denver-bound that afternoon.

Monday was Lily's official birthday. She, Sabrina and I painted pottery and went out for a celebratory lunch. Then I took Sabrina to the airport and I came home and crashed.


I think thirteen is going to be hard to top, but without a doubt...we'll try.

No comments: