Monday, August 28, 2017

Weekending

I woke up this morning to the sound of thunder. It was loud and it was close. There is something so soothing about the last minutes of stormy sleep. A noise, which at first I couldn't place, kept me from drifting back off...in. It was Tigger. When he's a content cat, he breathes so fast and deep that it rattles his rib cage. I guess he grooves on morning storms too, and likely was happy to have us home as well.

We took a weekend road trip to visit family in Michigan...a last hooray to summer. We like to explore the other side of the lake and catch up with my aunt and uncle at least every other year. We succeeded on both fronts.

I cannot explain how much I love road trips. There is just something about all four of us going on an adventure that makes me happy to my core.

Our first stop was for lunch and there was no question where when I saw a sign for Big Boy. Well, actually Mike saw the sign as I had my nose rather consumed in a book. I guess it's really no wonder why I love road trips.The kids were a little skeptical as they already had Steak and Shake on the brain, and they weren't sold by my description of the Swiss Miss. It was my standing order when there was a Big Boy in my neighborhood. My mom's too. The kids indulged me and we were all pleased. The burger was as good as I remembered it, and both kids raved about the chicken strips.

We arrived in Spring Lake at happy hour and that was perfect timing for reconnecting and planning for the days ahead. The guys had tee times both Friday and Saturday. The girls decided to visit some nearby dunes and shop. There was also lots of talking, some fishing, good eating and everyone was happy. Evidence forthcoming...


1. Big boys.
2. Girl on top of big dune.
3. Little Sable Lighthouse. The Michigan coast is lined with picturesque light houses.
4. We visited many cute shops in Grand Haven. This little chocolatier was also yummy.
5. Mutt and Jeff before golf.
6. Lunch one day was a delicious scoop of Michigan Cherry Ice Cream with Fudge. It was perfect.
7. Descending order.
8. Ted takes driving at the golf course to extremes.
9. Father and son.
10. Lily likes extreme driving too.
11. Lunch one day was Butch's Beach Burritos. They were delicious. My aunt and uncle also took us to their favorite pizza joint, Fricanos. We gave it the thumbs up.
12. It's rather otherworldly on the dunes.
13. At the quaint Vintage Green, Lily and I both wanted to buy the dog.
14. We took my aunt and uncle to Hearthstone one night for dinner. I got my whitefish, which is a Michigan must.
12. The Statute of Liberty in dune wood.
13. Ted and Lily even like each other on vacation.

No comments: