Saturday, February 14, 2015

Grateful Saturday

Today I give thanks for...

A little time to myself this morning.  It's me, the cats and my coffee.  I just saw T. Bone off for a few days of skiing.  Of course, it's bitter cold and the winds are blustery, but I'm telling myself that the conditions will be less brutal in the western corner of the state.

We exchanged our Valentines last night.  Coach gave me the most thoughtful gift of 20 things for the 20 years we've been married.  It's extra sweet, and I love it...love him!

L-O-V-E.

My girl still loves to cook.  Tonight we're going to make Molten Chocolate Cakes in honor of the holiday. 

Lunch with my sil mid-week.  We tried a new to us restaurant and we both agree we'll return.  I had a Korean bowl that was the most delicious combo of pork shoulder, brown rice and veggies (broccoli, kale, spinach, shrooms, radishes, bean sprouts) all topped with a runny egg.  Just typing that is making me think of the leftovers still in the fridge.

Conferences this week.  Both the kids have excellent grades and are really loved by all their teachers. The feelings are rather mutual too.  

Miss Bit's reading teacher gave us some great suggestions for her.  She hasn't really loved anything she's read lately.  I know how that can take the joy out of reading, but I think we have a list of books that will light that fire again and a few are waiting for us at the library.

Tickets to see Hairspray at the high school this weekend.  T. Bone saw it with his class this week and he enjoyed it so I expect that we will too.

Another successful swim meet, and swimming her first 100.  She was way more than ready, but had to overcome the nerves that present themselves when something new is on the horizon.

Ice skating with my girl after school one day.  We had the rink all to ourselves so even though the ice was treacherous in places, it was well worth it.  

There are no pictures of me from the rink, but I wore my Mom's Irish sweater and the matching wool hat that still smell like her, and kept me toasty warm.

T. Bone the volunteer.  Last week he went to the VA hospital and hung out with the vets.  He really enjoyed that.  This week he worked at the food pantry our church sponsors and had another great experience, and there will be more to come thanks to our civics minded middle school.

She loves her new camera which was part Valentines, part your brother is away on another trip and part reward for another trimester of hard work.

Twilight skies.

My lake front.  Your lake front too.  And that Coach felt well enough to join me for a walk along it.

New recipes.  This week Giada's Orange Scented Almond and Olive Oil Muffins and Skinnytaste's Baked Zucchini Sticks.  Both were keepers.  

Corned beef.  I picked one up from Costco last week and it was thebestcornedbeefwehaveverhad!  Coach does it up in the pressure cooker and really it is such a treat!

A new denim shirt.  I've been in search of for a long time, and I finally found the perfect one.

No work or school on Monday.