Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Snowy Day Ramblings

We woke up to flurries again this morning.  Lily was extra chipper at breakfast as she watched the flakes waft and dance to the ground.  Ted happily reported that we've had seven days in a row of snow.  He hopes to ski this weekend.  I like snow too.  Edited to say I like snow when I don't have to go anywhere.  Today is one of those days so I'm feeling peace as I watch the snowflakes accumulate on branches and roads.  It does make everything prettier and more pristine wouldn't you agree?  I'm listening to Indie Christmas, enjoying my second cup by candlelight, and thinking about what will get done today all while knowing that nothing is particularly pressing. Today I may even L-O-V-E snow.

Come to think of it I haven't met a kid who doesn't love snow, and I know only a handful of adults who don't groan when it's predicted.  That saddens me even while I understand it.  We grow up and so much in life loses magic and wonder.  Our perspective shifts to see work where once there was play.  Delight becomes frustration, but it doesn't have to.  It won't if we focus on being in the moment.  When we're fully present even the stressful or the mundane can be extraordinary.  Even tasks like shoveling, carpooling (even in the snow), changing sheets and making dinner have gifts to offer.  We just have to slow down to receive them.

It's hard though I know.  Everyone is so busy...so stressed out.  And then the holidays push us all to extreme outer limits, but I argue that they don't have to.  Not if we are doing and celebrating from a place of love and joy, rather than bitter or hurried obligation.  I know that there is no getting around certain commitments whether they make us feel all Ho Ho Ho or rather Bah Humbug, but there are many things we can do or not do that will alleviate some of the strain of the season.  Only you know what's important to you...what you need, and I challenge you to make those things the priority.  Perhaps, even at the expense of other things because too much takes the joy out of everything.  It's impossible to be present when our plates are too full so while we do more, we enjoy less.  It's taken me likely half my life, but I'm finally starting to grasp that less is almost always more.