Friday, June 20, 2014

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

It is officially summer in our house.  Monday of this week I was not so very thankful when I was getting texts and phone calls galore from T. Bone while I was at work, or Tuesday when I was in my car driving hither and yon for what seemed like hours, but by Wednesday we were easing into a semblance of routine. I was finally able to exhale and ease my white knuckled grasp on the reigns. Summer is about spontaneity and freedom whether I like it or not.  I'm trying my darnedest to like it.

Miss Bit has been enjoying the pool when it's not storming so I think we will get our money's worth out of the membership.

Life lessons.  This week T. Bone was challenged with the life isn't fair two cents' worth.  He handled it well and for that I am grateful.  I believe that a little hardship and adversity builds character.  The best athletes have gifts beyond their physical skills.

California Pizza Kitchen's Club Pizza.  It was the best pie of our family dinner out to kick off the start of summer.

Miss Bit told me she didn't want to pitch for her game this week, but then the coach needed her too and she did.  She is really stepping up to the plate, and having so much fun while doing so.

We celebrated Father's Day on Saturday night with the whole family because of baseball conflicts on Sunday. The dads were in rare form: costumed for cards....not just being celebrated, but celebrating.  The next day we were free to enjoy a very chill Father's day with just our little tired family.  We watched a surprisingly entertaining zombie movie in the afternoon, made meatballs for subs and dined al fresco before gathering in the living room for gifts.


Miss Bit is on the audio book train.  She picked up The One and Only Ivan when we stopped at the library last week.

I finally finished Some Nerve this week.  The last chapter and a half were difficult for me to get through.  I started out really connecting to this book, but then I lost interest along the way.  There was no way I was going to quit with 50 pages waiting in the wings so eventually I trudged on.  Ultimately I think I didn't relate to the almost precursory way she just ticked off her fears like they were trivial benchmarks rooted in little more than experiences gone awry.  Just when she would start to dig a little deeper, she would move on to the next, and I was left wanting more insight and less adrenaline.  Now I can move on to the growing stack at my bedside.

Stellar report cards.