Monday, March 5, 2012

On My Mind Monday

We are in the grip of some big machine grinding us along. The force of it simplifies everything. A weird calm has settled over me from the inside out. What is about to happen to us has stood in line to happen. All the roads out of that instant have been closed, one by one.

The Liar's Club
Mary Karr


I've been thinking about fate, kismet, lot in life. About the relationship between destiny and free will. Certainly every action has a reaction, and each single choice many consequences. To concede that it is out of our control seems to me a cop out...but one I'm not above giving into from time to time when I tire of the hard work it takes to be better...do better. Yet this quote is spoken by the 7 or 8 year old Mary Karr. She's just a child. Our children cannot control the fallout from any decision or indecision we as parents make or choose not to make. In many ways they are just along for the ride and it is up to us to make certain that they survive it, enjoy it and learn something from it to use when they are steering their own courses one inevitable day sure to come all too soon.

No comments: