Friday, March 16, 2012

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

More than anything today I am grateful for the true moments of unadulterated happiness I experienced this week. I found myself beholden by the kind of bliss that radiates from inside out urging me to me see the beauty in every little thing around me. I felt joy in the simplest, most ordinary undertakings. Extraordinary ordinary. I was intoxicated by the kind of rapture that fills me up, yet makes me feel lighter.

I marveled at the vase of canary-colored daffodils stretching to the sun before my lens. Literally, I witnessed them unfolding...I watched them unfurl amazed.


Something I do almost daily...create in the kitchen...inspired me so. The simple way the hard tart fruit became the sweetest, softest bread just made me feel so thankfully aware. Just like that lemons became pillowy loaves of lemony bread at my hands.


Day after day I was coaxed by Mother Nature to throw open the sashes and embrace the mild spring temperatures, to revel in the longer days and to smell the air...ripe and fresh. The chorus of birds, the call of cats begging to please...PLEASE! be let outside and the cacophony of kids carousing in the yard sailed through open windows on a soft, summery breeze.





We sat down for family dinner...something we do most nights, yet Miss Bit expressed the shared sentiment that it felt more ceremonious and special than usual. Funny...seeing as how run of the mill peasant food was on the menu: Shepard pie and crusty bread. The kids even ate the peas without complaint. Then again every meal feels more celebratory with the prospect of dessert at the end. T. Bone especially enjoyed the "cricket pie."




The litany of have tos and to dos felt more like an invigorating concerto than a broken record. We all had renewed gusto with which to tackle homework and housework, and that surge of energy left us more time for precious wants tos. Frivolous things like games, walks, books and baseball. Silly things like practice, play dates, bike rides and book club.

It's been a bit of a while since I've felt this kind of serendipitous happy chance and it felt gratefully good.

No comments: