Tuesday, August 16, 2011

On Living Vicariously


It's ironic. I was up earlier than usual no matter the morning routine. I was up to get these girlies off to their second day of camp. They were maybe just a little more excited than the day before. When I picked them up yesterday, they chattered incessantly and sometimes over each other sparing few, if any, detail the whole way home. I would have thought that all of the water, sun, fresh air and activity would have worn them out, but no...they were energized and bent on planning playdates and even attempting to arrange sleepovers for the night. Eleven hours together just wasn't enough.

I am almost as happy as they are. Happy because I know this is an experience that they will remember and cherish, perhaps...hopefully, forever. Instead of worrying when these two seven year olds boarded the yellow school bus with barely a goodbye, I thought of all the fun they are going to have on this beautiful day together. I was smiling right along with them.

I didn't get to go to camp when I was their age, or ever for that matter. I'm not saying woe is me because very few of my friends were able to partake in that experience, and truthfully I cannot even say that I would have wanted to. That being said...I'm glad Miss Bit can and even gladder that she is. As I experience this on the sidelines (or from the front seat) with her, I can see how this week will strengthen her confidence and build her character. My girl simply put is... AMAZING. She's cautious, but not afraid, kind but not a door mat, adventurous, but not careless, carefree, but not disconnected, independent, but not a loner. There isn't a mean bone in her body or an evil thought in her head, and the only thing in her heart is love. The only thing in my heart for her is the very same.

No comments: