Friday, July 29, 2011

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

It's finally the weekend. I am so looking forward to the next couple days and then a return to our regular routine next week. No more 5 day work weeks.

I saw my first Rickie Lee Jones concert last night, and it was so full of heart and soul that I considered driving 3 hours to see the show again tonight. It was worth waiting 3 decades for.

Banana cake for breakfast.

A family game of Monopoly after dinner this week that lasted not 1, but 2 nights.

Darlybird and their sweet accessories. The girls in this family are loving our new earrings and hair clips.

Tomato sandwiches that actually taste like something this time of year.

Silver. Silver shoes, belts, jewelry.

Thunderstorms and gray days.

My step-mother is excited to start a new job in mid August.

I finished The Paris Wife and I almost couldn't put it down despite the fact that we all know the ending. It really peaked my interest in Hem. I haven't read him since high school, but I have already secured a copy of Moveable Feast. Now I'm into Crossing to Safety, which I feel like I may have read already.

And this quote from the novel, which beautifully describes my favorite time of day...the gloaming and the bittersweet bonds between firsts.



Later that afternoon, Paul and I took the long way to the stream and dropped our
lines in just as the insects began to swarm and the light began to change. It
was our favorite part of the day, this in-between time, and it always seemed to
last longer than it should – a magic and lavender space unpinned from the hours
around it, between worlds. I held my reel and felt the line list, and was back
in Cologne with Ernest and Chink. Back at my first fish, knowing there wouldn’t
be any fish without this one, and no love without the first one either.



The Paris Wife










No comments: