Sunday, May 10, 2009

Motherless Daughters...

It's the title of a book I had in my hands yesterday at the book store. I put it back and ended up with The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World instead. You see, I refuse to think of myself as motherless. After all, I know my Mom was behind the strepta carpella I found last week at the out of the way nursery I visited. Last year I searched high and low, near and far for the "bluebells" she always bought for the both of us for Mother's Day to no avail. She wasn't in any shape to traipse around crowded nurseries, but I knew they would make her so happy. These plants were so beautiful and vibrant and much healthier and heartier than the plants she found in the past. I two for myself and one for my brother not only because I love them, but because every time I see them I think of her. I know he will too.

And I am certain my mother was behind the perfect red, heart-shaped rock my daughter picked up on the beach today. She held it and said the rock came from Nanny. Her sweet words...music to my ears, "Nanny put it here because she wants to let me know she loves me." We brought it home along with the heart-shaped rock my son scouted out for me. My Mom always brought rocks home from trips we took. Now many of them are safe in my rock garden.

Without a doubt, her divine intervention allowed my son to turn an effortless triple play on the little league field today. He told me that he was going to try and win the game today as a mother's day gift to me. They won, and he took home the game ball. I know who was smiling on us from above.

The thing is that my Mom is forever with me. Today she gave me the strength I needed to find the joy and happiness is this day despite the fact that I didn't have to buy her bluebells for her porches, despite the fact that she's not sharing a walk on the beach with her granddaughter and despite the fact that she's not sitting in the stands cheering on her all star.

It wasn't an easy day, but it was a good day and I am very thankful that it is over. I am grateful for the thoughtfulness, support and love of so many people in my life. It helps to have people to laugh and to cry with. People to remember with. And there is most certainly nothing that can beat waking up to my favorite breakfast in bed served by my favorite people. It mattered not that I planned to eat the decadent chocolate chip banana cake with my coffee this morning my true friend insisted I take to go last night because we had no room for dessert after our delicious dinner. For the record, I highly doubt that it was a coincidence we got the last two pieces...E-V-E-R! They will no longer be making this cake, but Pat and Kath. took care of their girls, as usual.

And that Guide to Disney...we are taking the magical trip to Walt's World my Mom was planning for this year. And it just so happens...we will leave on my Mom's birthday and return on her heaven day. We're doing it for her because I know that is exactly where she would want us to be..."the happiest place on earth!"

No comments: