Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Polestar

 

The other night I surprised a hummingbird when I went to fill the feeder. The little guy's wings whirled furiously and he stopped in mid-air returning my gaze. It felt like more than a moment before he shot off across the yard. He was so close I could have scooped him up. This morning a big fat hawk surprised me when he soared from beneath the trees. I was glad he wasn't after me. When I cross the river every morning on my way to work, I look left and right surprised that the foliage is still verdant green up and down the banks. One day and soon I will start seeing the autumn colors sneak into view.

I get such pleasure in paying attention.

This is the time of year for noticing things, for presence, for gratitude. It's time for slowing down, lingering and letting go of the burdens we carry as we count our blessings and open our hearts to grace and goodwill.

Believe me...we don't have to wait until November to be thankful, or December to be joyful. 

We can't wait until we achieve our loftiest goals to feel gratified. We'd be waiting forever because we live in a world that does not understand the beauty of enough. More is always consumed, coveted, celebrated. We can't hold out until we have no pain to feel innate happiness. We'd be living in lifelong darkness and what a tragic waste that would be.

Every day has its struggles and its fortunes too. I find that the heaviness of the hard things often outweighs the levity of the bright spots, but only if I let it. Yep, it's a choice.

The world is a mess. This country is in crisis. My city is chaos. 

But.

My neighborhood is full of peace. My family and friends are my tribe. My house is a haven. The sun rises every day and the stars shine at night. These are the things I'm going to pay close attention to.

 

 

No comments: