Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Dear Lily

 


I've been thinking about what I want to say here in honor of your milestone birthday. I have told you personally my most important and intimate thoughts. You aren't often in the mood to talk these days, but when you are...when we do, we have good ones.

Newly 18 and headed off to college makes for a big year. You are young in years with an August birthday, but an old, deep soul. I 'm a Leo too so I was in the same position, but I didn't share your level of self-awareness or self-confidence at this point. Both will serve you well as you navigate the often exciting and sometimes challenging times ahead.


 The very best advice I can give you is to listen to your gut and to be true to yourself. The power of instinct has rarely served me wrong and I believe you're wired the same way so always listen to that little voice in your head, that feeling in your bones without worry of offending someone or overreacting. Use your voice, your words, your safety alarm. Don't do anything just to fit in or because you feel pressured. Use your common sense and your moral code to guide your decisions. I trust you. Trust yourself.

Don't laugh, but the thing I worry most about is how you're going to live in a small room with two other girls. You're used to your own space with double closets and you haven't had to share a bathroom since Teddy went to college. It will be a fun experience, but there will be tests as you navigate quirks and schedules. Address conflict head on with only the party involved, be considerate and by all means don't leave piles of clothes everywhere. And remember, I had to share my shoe box sized room freshman year with my roomie and her 6 foot inflatable T Rex we had zero space for. As a sophomore, she moved in first and commandeered all the desirable places, but what I remember most is the way she looked out for me. Sure we had beefs, but that just comes with the territory.


 You are a particular eater and I also worry that you won't find enough healthy food choices even as I know that the options you have are so much more palatable than when I was in school. I pretty much lived on bagels, popcorn and late night pizza my first couple years. What I mean is be flexible. Eat apples if there are no berries. Yada yada,

This could probably go unsaid, but go to class. You are there by choice to learn. It's a privilege less than 1% of the world population enjoys. No less than 52,000 other applicants wanted to be where you are. Get to know your professors. You have seen first hand the way that has benefited your brother. And do not put pressure on yourself to decide what you want to do. You have time. Enjoy the exploration phase.


 I don't doubt that you'll intentionally make the most of the wide world before you. You are the perfect storm of mind and matter. You are bright and determined, but also thoughtful and keen. I used to worry that as an empath, someone who feels things profoundly, you might have a hard time putting yourself first, but you have proven me wrong. Instead I find that you consider your head and your heart together to guide you. That balance gives you confidence in your convictions. In every relationship, decision, disagreement, fork in the road, high and low this yin yang will serve you well.

I almost wrote that I cannot wait to see what your future holds, but that's just a platitude. I love where you are right now. I will be cliche and tell you that I'm immensely proud of you though. Proud of who you are more than what you do, but I celebrate that too.

You are my baby girl, my favorite daughter and my beloved friend.

I am the luckiest mama in the world.

I love you Cutie to the moon over Madison and back.

XO,

Mom

P.S. Sorry this is late. I've been a little busy.





 

 



No comments: