Friday, September 2, 2022

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

This Badger!

We successfully moved Lily and her 10 Ikea bags packed full of clothes into Ogg Wednesday. It took 3 trips. A bin-full each time. Her winter wardrobe is still at home. In fact, if you were to peak in her closets, you would think she was still living here. The good thing is that her roomie had the same amount of stuff. The other good thing is that her third roomie was coming from Boston so I am told she brought less. It was a long, but good day of schlepping, lofting, organizing, and decorating. We were too busy to feel sad and excited for Lily and Faith to get comfy in their space and begin to meet their neighbors.

 Ted's contribution to the decor is questionable.

Lils walked us out at 4 o'clock. The day started at 9. There were some extra long hugs and tears upon parting. A few chuckles as we realized that the erstwhile Simple Mind's hit, Don't You Forget About Me, was blasting in the courtyard. More tears on the walk to the car. On the way to Madison, Lily and I talked about the day 3 years ago that we left Teddy in the dorm. She was maybe most upset. From the back seat, she asked with incredulity, What do you think he's doing now? She was unable to comprehend his new life. She was texting him by the time we hit the highway. I had the same feelings as we left her. 

And as soon as we left the city, I received a message and video from my girl that she had obviously made in advance. It was a little tribute to me and a just the perfect touching gesture. Tear jerking too. Ted was with me and he was good for a pep talk. A laugh too. He said chickens have to leave the nest and when I questioned whether chickens have nests, he cited eagles. I learned adult eagles attack their young when it's time for them to go out on their own. Then they fly to a new nest so the young eagle cannot return. Ted said, You aren't leaving her all alone, but in a nice place with nice people. I couldn't argue with that. And it's time for her to spread her wings. I cannot argue with that either.

She sent a picture before she went out for the night. I see true joy.


 Then she sent another when she came home. I see true friendship.
 
 

We've Facetimed twice and we text throughout the days. The pictures and messages keep me from going crazy missing her too much. Also knowing that she's doing well, happy, having fun. She seems to be adjusting to dorm living...living in a room with 2 other lovely ladies and sharing a bathroom with 12. She already despises dorm food, but admits that she's been too busy and keeping odd hours to be hungry. I will bring some chicken that is not weird and a stash of berries when I come next week. She's been sleeping well and working out. It's a bonus to have the gym a block away. She's seen high school friends and made some new friends too. All good. Very good.

Tomorrow is the first football game of the season. It's a night game too, which is an extra fun occurrence. I know she's excited to cheer on the Badgers...her Badgers, and we'll be watching from home.

She's in there somewhere. Class of 2026!

I'm looking forward to seeing her on Tuesday when I take Ted and the rest of his stuff to Madison. I have to deliver a list of things she needs and I'll take her to dinner if she can spare the time. Wednesday is her first day of class.

And then I know the next few months will be good and full and fast.


No comments: