Monday, September 26, 2022

Calm in the Storm

September is carrying on its tradition of high highs and low lows. We joyously celebrated my dad's 75th a little over a week ago and then we sadly said goodbye to my 82 year old father-in-law days later. The ebb and flow of life and death have been in-our-face present these days. One reminds us that we're born dying and the other that we better get busy living. As we witnessed Paul expire, it was said and felt that he lived a good life. There is peace in that because an end to sufferings after a life well lived is a blessing. We grieve and mourn, but we also celebrate the man he was...a good man. Just ask anyone who knew him.

My favorite thing about my fil was his quick wit and dry sense of humor. Yes, even upon meeting me for the first time when he lovingly calling me a hussie. I had on shocking pink lip stick and I turned a deep crimson red being after called out this way in front of the family I was determined to impress. And while I never wore that shade again, I have told this story often and fondly. You see if Paul teased you...he liked you. The two of us were known to banter. I am so going to miss that.

As the word has spread, we've received so many attestations to his spirit and his character. He was a jolly presence at any gathering, befriending everyone and raving about the food no matter. He was always gracious. If a game was on (any game), you'd eventually find him in front of the television and if cards were mentioned, he'd be all in.

He leaves behind four boys who will continue to carry on in the tradition of being good men. They gathered in crisis this week to support one another and their mother and they will all be stronger for it.

After the trying week, we escaped for a quick 24 hours to Windmill Beach. I was surprised Mike was up for it, but he welcomed the change of scenery, and Lake Michigan does the soul good. My brother and sister-in-law took care of us. They made us dinner and then brunch the next day. We watched the Badgers lose and the Packers win. We took a long quiet walk on the beach littered with dog and deer prints Sunday morning and I decided cool breeze and clouds be damned...I would swim. That galvanized everyone else so I had to go in even after I changed my mind. I'm glad I did too because a Sunday swim in late September is better than church for clearing the head, jolting the heart and soothing the spirit.

The next time we stay at the beach, the house will be very different. Construction starts soon and I'm excited to see my brother and sister-in-laws plans off paper. It will be an even more fabulous retreat when we return in spring.

We made it home just before a raging storm blew through. Shortly after settling in we received this picture from Windmill Beach. It felt like just the universe sign I so needed.


 

No comments: