Monday, February 15, 2021

Weekending

This Valentine's weekend was filled with the good stuff: time together and treats. Mike and I played lots of cards. In the course of three days, we exchanged the title three times. We made a celebratory dinner Saturday night and set the dining room table with flowers and candles. Mike roasted lobster tails from the Galapagos and perfectly cooked filets. It was better than restaurant quality. I made risotto in the oven. I was apprehensive having been schooled in the belief that good risotto requires steady stirring, but I couldn't tell the difference. I consider this quite a breakthrough because it eliminates the fuss factor. We exchanged our Valentines and all felt the love.

Sunday I was up early to get in a workout before church. I had the 8 o' clock hour and Lily had the 9 o' clock, before 11:30 mass. I thought it would be sparse given the fact it was barely above zero, but I dare say it was more crowded than Christmas Eve. We went for a holiday brunch after church. It was hoppin' at Café Hollander too. I just cannot get over what a treat it feels to go out, see people, be waited on and cooked for. Mike loved his spicy egg dish and Lily sang praises over her chicken wrap. I was perfectly pleased with my traditional breakfast of runny eggs and multi-grain toast. The company was the best part.

I came home and curled up on the couch under the warmest afghan I could find and started Wave. After 50 heartbreaking pages, I dozed off for a 60 minute nap. This was shaping up to be the perfect day. I woke feeling refreshed and ready to win back the Gin title. None of us were all that hungry, but we followed through with the plan to make a little Chinese dinner. It was inspired by some General Tso's Cauliflower we picked up the last time we were at Costco. It is worth buying btw. I made egg rolls and Mike made Fried Rice. Lily made the most decadent Chocolate Tart that I enjoyed with my coffee this morning. I earned it after my mammogram.

The cold is here for a few more days, and snow is in this evening's forecast: 4-6 inches. I'm going back to my spot on the couch under my Ugg throw with my book. Dinner tonight is leftovers from the weekend. I won't be disappointed if tomorrow is a snow day.


 









No comments: