Thursday, February 4, 2021

A Reminder

I'm feeling very upbeat this morning. Lils and I got out for our late afternoon walk and talk yesterday. We decided to chat instead of tune out with our podcasts. It was nice. What's even nicer is that we can be honest about whether or not we feel like connecting or checking out no hard feelings. I mostly listened. She's feeling the stress of the looming ACT, homework, volunteer obligations and picking classes for next semester. After 5 minutes, she came up with a plan and then we talked about other less important stuff. She is always amazing me.

After a few miles, I got to work chopping veggies and measuring spices for our Spicy Chicken Stir Fry and then I passed the baton to Mike to chef it up while I warmed my bones with a hot shower. Lil's cleaned up even though she made her own dinner: wraps two ways. It was teamwork perfection and also quite satisfying. We watched a passable movie and then I went to bed before 10 o'clock to finish my book. I Miss You When I Blink was a relatable collection of essays on life that kept me turning pages. I have a couple in queue, but I'm thinking about the books I have waiting for me at the library. 

After 9 hours shut eye, I was up this morning and on my elliptical. Right now the housewives of OC are keeping me moving. Can I just say I'm so glad they're not my friends? The only one I remotely like is Gina, but their mean girl antics amp me up to move faster and so I put up with them. I made my celery juice. It's something I have started to not just tolerate, but enjoy. A long hot shower with good smelling Aveda products and I'm ready for my day feeling accomplished already and I haven't even had coffee yet. 

And I'm here mostly to remind myself that these efforts in self care, which can sometimes seem like heavy hassles, make me feel lighter. Lighter as in positive and upbeat, and that is a much better way to go through life. Amen.


No comments: