Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Soup and Stuff

Lily is home today back at the dining room table. She rolled out of bed at 7:58 for her 8:00 AP Lang class. I made her celery juice to jump start the day. When I left, she was on coffee. I think it's a nice break to be home in the middle of the week and I won't complain if post pandemic, this remains an educational option.

Mike is still working at my desk in our bedroom. So I guess, after a year, it's his desk. He assures me that his colleagues cannot see me as I go about getting ready in various stages of dress around him, but still we are beginning to think about a better alternative. He's like a teenager holed up in his room all the time. It's looking like he'll be working from home with occasional stops in the office ongoing so it's time to set up a designated home office. He's good with this new normal especially since he'll be traveling again. I'm good with it too, but I plan to shift some of the dinner prep burden to him. He's always willing, but it's my job to plan and shop so I have to be intentional and specific. That means I cannot expect him to read my mind about what's for dinner and how to make it.

While he was at the club last night, I was dicing peppers and onions for dinner. White Chicken Chili was on the menu. I was a tad resentful that the work fell on me and more so because I couldn't let go of the fact that if the stoup married all day it would be all the more flavorful. I checked myself. Self, I said, you worked out this morning and you didn't ask for help and you are happy to see him get out of the house and take care of his health. When he came home, I asked him nicely to grate the cheese and sauté the tortillas. He was happy to do so and the chili, which was filled with chilies, jalapenos and poblanos, was uber flavorful even though it didn't simmer all day. He and Lils cleaned up the kitchen. This morning my guy asked me if there was anything he could do to prep for dinner tonight. Maybe he does read minds. Or else he wants to help me when I am nice. Hmmm.

I want to go back to this chili though. Man, was it good, and easy. Healthy too. It always amazes me how simple soups are, and also how comforting they are on a cold night. A bowl of soup also makes the perfect quick lunch on a busy day.  I make at least one pot every week, but I've been in a rut tiring of my old standbys. There is no reason for this as there are 10,001 ways to make soup. Last week, I perfected my Potato Soup recipe. Lils and I ate the entire batch with a little help from Alan before Mike returned from his trip Friday. He's requested it for next week. Potato soup always feels naughty to me, but I didn't have to cream this batch. Instead, I used my immersion blender to blend half the pot and we didn't miss the extra fat at all. It was a bowl of deliciousness: carrots, celery, onions, garlic, potatoes, chicken stock, milk, a little salt, pepper and the secret ingredient: cajun spice. Topped with green onions and a trace amount of shredded cheddar, it is like getting a bear hug.

This has been a three batch week: Ramen, Stuffed Cabbage and Chili. The Ramen is gone btw. I've been craving Cabbage Soup since my dad mentioned it a couple weeks ago. My mom used to make a version she called Weight Watcher's Soup. Remember that from the 80's? My version is similar, but I use crushed and diced tomatoes instead of tomato juice, and some beef broth. To that base, I add a whole head of rough chopped cabbage, sautéed first, plenty of carrots, a pound of lean ground beef, browned before hand, onion, garlic and salt and pepper. A half cup of uncooked brown rice adds a little sustenance to the soup. I wish I would have brought a bowl for lunch today. I think I'm hungry.

After work, Lils and I are committed to bundling up for a walk. We were going to go at 7 o'clock this morning, but she decided to sleep in. It was a wise choice as it was a balmy 8 degrees early morn. The sun is out and it's warming our world right now. Tomorrow there is more snow in our forecast and then a cold snap. That means there'll be more soup.

Stir Fry is for dinner tonight. And come to think of it, Mike made a special stop to get bean sprouts, pea pods and baby bok choy after I asked him sweetly to do so for me. I think I'm on to something here.



 

No comments: