Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Ladies Night

I picked Candace up early evening and we ooohed and aaaahed at the showy setting sun luring us west. We both felt a little giddy about gussying up (which is to say wearing something other than comfies), a girls night and frankly, going out. I'm content to be home until I get out and then I remember the appeal of people and places. Most sub zero, mid-week nights, I'd probably cancel any plans, but that was not an option last night because I knew it would be a good one.

It was a reunion of the Hamilton Gals. Two years ago, the two sets of friends came together for a night of fun: good food, better wine, the best theatre. I think when you experience a moving story together, a story that greatly impacts you, a bond is created. We are connected, the four of us, by that memorable night of US history, walking cocktails and Scarfgate.

I love that my aunt and one of my closest friends have become friends. Good people beget good people. That's like goodness multiplied. And btw they both use the f word liberally, call a spade a spade, think they should pick up every tab every time, and will do anything for the people they love. My aunt's friend is warm and engaging. She's someone I feel immediately comfortable around, and I always rely on my Spidey sense to guide me to good people. There's a reason we are told to trust our instincts.

We ordered steaks and drank wine, and dinner (which we split 4 ways with much required resignation) went entirely too fast so we convened at the bar for a night cap. At the bar, we met Bartender Joe. Joe Cataldo of Cataldos on Brady and from there is was a single degree of separation night. Connections galore. Ghosts and haunts and blast after blast from the past. Smallwaukee we call it for good reason. And especially during this isolating pandemic, remembering when, remembering where, is a comfort. It's a much needed hug during these dark times.

We hugged goodbye and promised to do this again and soon. Wendy will be joining our book club and I'm inspired to start that back up like now. The whole drive home, Candace and I were high on the night and we were listening to Hamilton.


 

No comments: