Wednesday, March 13, 2024

They Don't Build Them Like They Used To

 

It's another unseasonably beautiful day in the neighborhood. Yesterday we opened windows and walked in short sleeves just before sundown. A tour around the yard showed that green shoots are showing. I almost went to the store to pick up something for the grill, but decided that Caesar salads would suffice. After years and years of making this salad, I believe I finally nailed the dressing. Mike believes it too.

I love this time of year when all the kids come out to play and you can see how much they've grown since fall. Our neighborhood is changing again. When we moved in with a baby and a toddler 18 years ago, we were the young ones who stretched to buy our perfect for us home. We're the empty nesters now and I love seeing the families moving in. The house directly across the street and another right behind us are in the process of being sold. I'm anxious to see who our new neighbors will be. And yet I'm also heartened by the wonderful neighbors who watched our kids grow up and are still here.

Mike is itching to move. It's fiscally motivated thanks to the dreaded "T" word. I agree with him on that front, but I'm not ready to move on just yet. I moved often as a kid. Not as frequently as an army brat, but enough to feel more nomadic than settled. And while my houses were within a mile radius, nothing ever truly felt like home. Casa Wags is my home. I see all of her faults and warts and still I love her unconditionally. I'm one of those odd people who say that I wouldn't sell my house and buy a bigger, better one if I won the lottery. No, I'd just do all of the things on my wish list to make Casa Wags an even better version of herself.

One of Lily's friends said that our house is so inviting and cozy. It's one of the best compliments I've ever received. It's warm and comfortable, but it's also got some real good juju. If these walls could talk, the stories would be beautiful. Not all happy, but more than not. The memories and milestones give this girl her good bones and solid foundation. I'm blessed she's my home.



No comments: