Saturday, November 25, 2023

Full

I was grateful to wake up to a cloudy morning. I've had enough of the sun. A little snow is in tomorrow's forecast and I'm okay with that too. The house is full and everyone is still asleep. It's been a couple days of festive over-indulgence and sleep is the best reset. Exercise too, but that will come later.

Yesterday I had the post-holiday hangover. Not from too much wine or turkey, but from the fact that it was over. It goes so fast...too fast and it's so good that sometimes it makes my heart hurt. When the kids suggested we go out downtown for dinner, I did what I rarely do to them: I said no. Turns out that was a good choice and we all said so before the night was over. We gathered around the island while Ted and Meryl made dinner. Mike and my brother played cribbage and we all chipped in to help here and there. Ted doesn't do anything low key. His homemade french fries were all impressively the exact same size for even frying. Their menu was inspired by Raising Canes and Meryl's love of Takis. They nailed it right down to the sauce.

After dinner, we settled in for a few rounds of Quiplash. Taki was, not surprisingly, the common thread. Lil came home with friends who are still asleep upstairs with Gus the house gigolo mascot. It was my favorite kind of night: spontaneous, go with the flow, easy. Casa Wags is happiest when it's full. I'm happiest then too.

I'm not exactly sure what is on the day's agenda. The kids have plans with friends. I'll probably do some shopping and cooking so I can send them home with a little leftover comfort from the weekend. We talked about getting a tree. I'm ready. The dining room tree is up and lit. It made me so happy to linger around the table in the twinkle lights last night with my peeps. A little more of that is all I need.

No comments: