Monday, November 13, 2023

a little weekending

I woke up this morning before my alarm feeling better than I have in days. I've been fighting off a cold. No, it's not Covid. When people hear my voice, they give me disapproving glares. I should wear a sign that says I don't have Covid

Mike's birthday was Sunday so we spent the better part of the weekend celebrating him. That did not speed my recovery one bit, but I'm not complaining. It was worth it. Friday we met my brother and sister-in-law at a hip and happening spot in our old stomping grounds for happy hour. It was a beautiful night to be out and about. I almost didn't recognize the small village where I grew up, and lived most of my life. We ended up at a favorite spot for dinner just down the road, which is known for it's pizza napoletana. The arugula salad was a hit as were the chianti and the blood orange limoncello.

The restaurant was busy and that is good to see as the owners contemplated retiring recently. They decided to stay after the community weighed in as to how much they would be missed. There is a lot of heart in their. Food made with love is the very best. I appreciate the family recipes and the fresh, simple ingredients, and I'm pretty sure that my brother and sil, who are foodies, will be back as well. And hello sticker shock. We have NYC prices in the Midwest now.

Saturday was an absolutely gorgeous fall day to take a hike in a nearby nature preserve before we headed to Pete and Sue's for the inaugural dinner in their stunning new kitchen.  As always, it was a delicious and fun night that lapsed into the wee hours before we even knew it. That meant a slow start to a lazy Sunday at home, and we both agreed it was what we needed.

I'm making the Birthday Bolognese tonight and it'll be a good bowl of comfort to beat the Monday blahs. And while that might sound fancy, trust me it's anything but. It's all about quality ingredients like San Marzano tomatoes, a nutty Parm and good pasta - pappardelle for us tonight - and patience. We have it all.


 

No comments: