Saturday, July 6, 2019

These Are The Days

I was up early this morning, but not before T Bone. I was greeted by a note on the counter and a dirty pan in the sink. The note said that he was at his buddy's watching the sunrise and then caddying. Last night I packed his backpack full of all the s'more stuff the kids never touched at the party. He was headed to the China Buffet, which he was not happy about because he doesn't see the value. After filling up on sub-par Chinese, they were going to have a bonfire and swim in the lake. One of his friends was home from camp just for the night and the plan was to maximize their time together. I'm surprised Ted let them sleep. Just the other day he was waxing on about how they need to get up earlier and stay up later. He wants to eke out every last minute of this good life they have.

He skipped joining us at the lake on the 4th. He opted instead for a game of ultimate Frisbee with his boys. I know he's feeling how quickly the time is passing. In weeks now they will all go their separate ways. It's exciting and terrifying and happysad. When we came home from Windmill Beach yesterday, Teddy was making breakfast for his buddies. Smoothies were the first course followed by bacon and eggs.

He's all about making plans, living his best life, being present. If all I've taught him is to be.here.now. that is enough.

He asked for my library card yesterday. He went to pick up a book on motivation. I was lounging in my bed and he slid in beside me with his book in hand. I made the comment that I really liked this version of Ted. As much as I love to read, my children do not. He proceeded to read me passages. There was much YOLO and move out of your comfort zone, get out of your own way. It's all good, worthy stuff.

Later we sat around the kitchen island and had a family brainstorming session. Ted wants to start not one, but two businesses. In his words, "I'm ready for the grind." He knows he just needs that nugget called a good idea. He's writing a business plan for one idea he plans to develop with Jackson and John. He and Auggie are putting their heads together on another idea.

The thing is...I think he'll do it. Maybe not now and maybe not with them, but at some point I do think he'll set a little corner of the world on fire.

And speaking of fire and the freedom to control our own destinies, the 4th was a fantastic day. The night before, Mike and I fessed up that we were missing our annual celebration. We woke on the holiday to heat and humidity and were grateful to be going to the lake. We stopped for ice and fresh strawberries on the way. The farm literally closed as we were pulling out of the lot. It was a chill afternoon of cold cocktails, the warmth of the sun and a refreshing Lake Michigan. Lily and Isabel spent the afternoon in and on the water. They took turns kayaking and paddle boarding. Just as we came up from the beach to clean up before dinner, a late afternoon squall blew in. It cleared up in time for fireworks. They were going off all along the shore from dusk until well after dark. It's my favorite way to firework.

Dinner was the best bbq chicken I've had in a long time and then we played a very competitive game of Pictionary. No one ever won. The girls settled in for a scary movie. The boys called it a night. Ashley and I almost stayed up to watch the sun rise. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

To say that yesterday was a lazy day is an understatement. And yet it was good. And it's only Saturday. Candace is on her way. We're going for a walk. We have company coming for dinner tonight. More good food, fireworks, fun in the purview. This is summer.







 














No comments: