Wednesday, July 24, 2019

I Could Get Used To This

This is shaping up to be a quintessential mid-summer week. We're finally in the groove. I'm in the groove. That groove changes from day to day. There in lies the challenge. But also the beauty.

Most days involve golf for Ted. This week he's playing in the Junior Masters. Another friend is also playing and the two of them are accompanied by two friends who are their caddies. Something about this makes me smile.

Lily has a couple handful more softball games and one more tournament and then her golf season starts. It'll be good for her. She's a bit of a homebody in the summer. Not always by choice, but she doesn't complain. I worry about her spending so much time home by herself.

That's why after a tough post work workout, I suggested we get out of the house to get dinner. We went back and forth on a place until I suggested we head downtown to a spot on the river we like I didn't necessarily feel like trekking downtown after a long day, but I saw that suggestion excited Lil. That made it worth it. Not to mention it was the perfect night for outdoor dining. The restaurant was slammed for that reason, but we didn't mind watching seagulls and boats and scooters while we waited. The city was a bit abuzz. After we finished our salads, we went for a walk about to see some of the pieces in the Sculpture Milwaukee exhibit and take some pictures. I would have been happy to walk all the way up the avenue to the lake, but my companion was ready to head home. Instead we drove along the lake with the windows down and a welcome breeze blowing.

I was up in time to fit in a brisk walk this morning. I started with a pullover that I quickly had to shed. It's going to be another beautiful day. Soon I'm headed to the farmer's market hoping to score some tomatoes for a fresh sauce I want to make for my grilled chicken tonight. Jess is coming to Lil's game and then she will stay for dinner. I'm not sure if Ted will be home. If not he'll enjoy the leftovers later.

As much as I crave routine, there is something pleasant when days and nights unfold as they will. It's about this time every summer I start to embrace the unforced, unbidden rhythm of these lazy days. This is the season of coulds not shoulds.

No comments: