Friday, July 27, 2018

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

Last night. We were tourists in our town on an absolutely perfect night. We walked along Wisconsin Avenue enjoying #sculpturemilwaukee. It was a  nice change of pace to get out of our neighborhood...our bubble. Sundays bring us downtown for church, but we rarely find ourselves there during the week. We appreciated the vibe so perhaps that will change. We had plans to have dinner at an east side favorite, but we opted instead for a restaurant with a table smack downtown right on the river. It was a good choice because that vibe and that rare quintessential summer night are nothing short of magic. 







Public art, and my husband and daughter for indulging my interest in the installation and also my need to take lots of pictures.







Not just indulging it, but getting into it...


and having fun with it.
  

Nostalgia. It was my favorite because I connected with it...I got it...I get it.  



During dinner, we talked about our upcoming trips to Chicago and Michigan. Chicago for Lily's birthday and Michigan to visit family. It's not certain whether Teddy will join us for our visit to the windy city. Lily opined that he should because he would have fun. I love that she wants him to come even though he may not see it that way and we may have to force him.

It's been a no air condo week. In fact, right now I'm wearing a sweatshirt. Pleasant days sandwiched between cool morning and evenings are my favorite. I'm not ready for summer to end or for fall to set in, but I appreciate gentle transitions. My boys appreciate open windows and doors.


Fresh-made beds.

Raspberries fresh off the vine.


They are sweet and taste like sunshine, and they also take me back to my 7 year old self. Raspberries were a summer staple. The patch in our yard lined a shortcut secret passage to the dead-end block all of our friends lived on so my brother and I would sneak a handful coming and going from games of Statute Maker, Hide and Seek and Red Rover Red Rover. We were supposed to come home as soon as the street lights came on, but often we held out for another game. My mom would eventually call our names from the back porch. We waited until we could sense she was losing patience and about to come find us. Eventually we raced home giggling and were then ushered straight to the bath to wash away the evidence of the day: muddy feet, grass stained knees, berry dyed fingers and popsicle mustaches.  Yep, all from picking a few berries.


I stocked up at the farmer's market.


I came home with some beautiful lettuce so I decided to make a BLT with a tomato from the yard. It was so delicious. I may have to make another one today because we have three more ripe tomatoes.

This bouquet I picked up at the market has made me smile all week too.


Garden shots.


Dreamsicles. Talk about nostalgia.

A mid-week movie night with a bowl of popcorn. Red Sparrow was meh, but the popcorn was a treat.

Lily had a great golf lesson this week. One more week until her season starts.


Ted's at Badger Golf Camp this week and he's having lots of fun shooting well at University Ridge. If he goes to Madison, this will be his home course. Even though he's not home much these days, I miss him this week.

Grandparents who host him. He's been using their house as home base since they live so much closer. I am grateful that he's being well taken care of and also for this opportunity for Teddy to exhibit some independence. It's a good step. For him. For me.

Friends who come to do your hair for an event and then take your daughter to dinner while you are gone.



These two had a fun invitational despite the fact that they didn't win their flight. They sure looked cute!


Watermelon. Every week we're eating a whole melon and pounds of cherries.


Faith.

It's Friday!

No comments: