Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Late Spring Reading Inventory

Even as I've struck more of a balance between life and reading these past few months, I still managed to get through a solid stack this late spring. I'm happiest when I have a good book or two or three to escape into when I need to.


Heating and Cooling was a collection of micro memoirs (one was a single word) that was a one cuppa read. I sat down with it one morning after church and I finished it before brunch. I found the format clever and the content witty and meaningful. In looking back, I think it might be best to take your time with this. To read a couple when you have a spare few minutes so they can take hold.

I barely remember Lapena's thriller The Couple Next Door even after reading the synopsis on Amazon. I think that speaks volumes.

Now The Rosie Project surprised me. I read this for my book club so because I had to, but I'm glad I did. I'm usually drawn to literary fiction...to stories that are weighty and make me ponder, question and feel. This clever little tale had me laughing, smiling and rooting for Rose and Don. I was feeling. In fact, it was a book club, feel-good favorite. We discussed it in tandem with A Man Called Ove. It was a compelling pairing: two odd balls who were ultimately charming and redeemable.

An American Marriage is my best read of the year thus far. I blew through it in 24 hours and I didn't want it to end. I was hooked by Tayari Jones's beautifully written account of the complexity of human relationships specifically between black men and women. This culture is underrepresented in contemporary lit. Celestial, Ray and Andre were dynamic, compelling characters. In fact, I found even the ancillary characters to be authentic and rich. The 3 POVs and the epistolary format only added to the impact of the story. We'll be discussing this in my book club in August. I'm expecting a wide range of reactions and opinions. I'm also hoping to hear Jones read from her novel on Friday as she'll be visiting a local book store. 

As Bright As Heaven was another pleasant surprise. Usually historical fiction strikes me as either dull or overly sentimental, but Meissner's story set in Philadelphia, 1918 was neither. It was a compelling tale of resilience and hope even in the face of so much struggle and loss. I loved getting to know the Bright women. They reminded me of more evolved versions of the beloved March women. Strong female characters always get my attention. 

Skip The Perfect Nanny unless it is literally the only thing you have to read. I wish I had. The creepy, disturbing story left me with too many unanswered questions, but then I have to ask myself...do I really want the answers?

I started out a big fan of The Great Alone. Hannah's latest work was one I was excited for, yet the untamed Alaskan landscape was the setting for what proved to be a rather frustrating, predictable story. In a rare turn of events, I found myself anticipating the passages that described the setting and the challenges of homesteading most. The characters - except for Large Marge - annoyed me. They were unsympathetic and flat. Either all good or all bad or all dim-witted. My biggest complaint though was the fact that the major conflicts/events were more or less glossed over. Almost like oh well, and then the story gets tied up with a neat little bow at the end. I felt insulted.

I picked up Nabokov's controversial classic, Lolita, because it was suggested I read it before Reading Lolita in Tehran, which was on my book club roster. They might have also suggested reading Fitzgerald and James and Austen, which I have, because they are also heavily referenced in Nafisi's memoir. Lolita was a tough read because the subject matter was uncomfortable, but also because the artful prose takes time and attention. It's not light reading. But here's the thing...HH manipulated me just as he manipulated his nymphette. I didn't want to like him, but a part of me did. I think it's a good idea to pick up a classic now and again and so I did.

Reading Lolita in Tehran was also a difficult read. Only 3 of 10 in my book club finished it in it's entirety and few got beyond 50 pages. The heavy historical and literary references were arduous. It was reminiscent of 500 level college courses. I had to pace myself and do some additional research. I had to take notes. Nafisi is a professor by the way. I wanted to like her, but I didn't. She came off as aloof and pedantic. She tells her story all the while keeping the reader at arms length. Her lack of personal insight was shocking to me. Yet the interesting thing about this memoir is that it made for colorful book club banter. Even the ladies who'd only read a chapter or two had strong opinions on women's rights, totalitarian regimes and America's relationship with the Middle East. We discussed into the night around my table where I served a Persian dinner. It was all good.

The Last Mrs. Parrish felt oddly familiar. I was sure I'd read it. I hadn't, but I realized it is basically the same story as The Wife Between Us. So read one if you're in the mood for a mindless thriller.

The Light We Lost was a modern day Romeo and Juliet, which is to say a story of star-crossed lovers. Here's the thing though...I kind of despised both the characters. They were entitled and shallow and selfish, and the worst part was that I never felt that they had anything all that special. The end, which I won't spoil, left me feeling like I'd just wasted my time. Luckily it was a quick read.

No comments: