Monday, November 27, 2017

November 27th

We put up the trees over the weekend. No ornaments yet. I was thinking of decorating my Mom's tree today, but it's going to be pushing 60 again. I question how people get into the Christmas spirit in the south. I've got Christmas carols playing, yet I'm still not feeling it. The frasier fir in our living room actually smells like pine this year, but if you open the door, it smells like spring. The air is fresh with just-mown grass and heavy with the faint-iron smell of petrichor. This morning I saw a story on the news that warned of branches filled with bugs. Against my better bug-phobic judgement, I waited for the segment to air wondering what horrible species has infected our fresh-cut Christmas trees this year. The riveting discovery folks....spiders. Yep, spiders. If you keep your tree in the basement, the attic or the garage...you will likely have the same holiday guests. It was obviously a light news day.

The other news today is...it's Cyber Monday. I ignored Black Friday. I'm not much in the mood for Cyber Monday either. I know I sound scroogy, but I'm not. I love giving gifts and getting a good deal I just don't appreciate the media propaganda campaign. It's a struggle for me every year to flip the switch from content and grateful to gluttonous for more more more. Tell me I'm not alone...that you see the irony too. Can we not just have the month of November to be thankful for what we have?

Just so you know...I'm not judging you if you still have pumpkins and mums on your porch. Last night my husband cut the lawn and tonight we'll bbq our chicken on the grill. It is what it is and what it is is still November and more like almost spring than almost winter.

No comments: