Saturday, November 4, 2017

A Day Late

Yesterday I woke to complete confusion over what the day was. When my alarm sounded this morning, I was sure it couldn't be 8 o' clock already. The air still had that before dawn-like look and feel to it: pitchy and ponderous. I forced myself to get up and out because although I'd slept a solid eight (and nine the night before), I knew I could and would sleep more. I've been setting my alarm on Saturdays because I like them to last extra long. I'm in a rank foul mood when they don't. Today is perfectly rainy so, of course, the air is dark and heavy. Not my mood though. It's plodding yet dogged. I'm doggedly determined not to let this funk fester, but I'd be lying if I told you it doesn't take its toll. The best way to get ahead of is to keep doing the things I love, and then to be grateful for the gifts they give me. Gratitude isn't lost on me especially during the month of November.

I feel like I missed October. That's not a good feeling either because it's my favorite thirty one days and I like to take them slow and to savor all the little things that make it so. It was a frenetic and unseasonably warm month that just didn't say slow down and stay in to me. The colors were lackluster due to the drought and I think I was as confused as Mother Nature. So this chilly, grey day...I sort of love it.

I've felt and have often been a day late all month. We pulled together Lily's costume hours before trick or treat, bought the picked over candy the day before and finally carved our pumpkins the day after. I think I would have passed if I didn't so badly want to excavate those seeds, and yet I'm glad we did. I know my two are growing up, but I'm just not ready to give up all our traditions yet. But we adjust. We carve two jack o' lanterns instead of four.

This weekend we are two. It's the girls. Mike is at the cabin with his brothers and Teddy is on retreat with a bunch of other teenagers. As we drove along the lake last night to drop him off, Teddy, Lily and I simultaneously caught a glimpse of the moon rising out of the lake. It was fat and orange and a little awe inspiring. If we hadn't been late (yes, running behind), I would have likely pulled over. Teddy, the new photographer in the family, suggested we just commit it to memory because he knew that the true essence of what we were witnessing couldn't be captured and kept. Well, not with our cameras anyways. And I knew...I knew he was right. (But if the clouds break, I just may be at the lakefront tonight at 6 o'clock to try.) This is the kind of day that is getting darker not brighter so I'm not holding out too much hope.

We are girls with a plan or plans this weekend. Lily even passed on activity night at school to hang with me. Let me tell you...that made me feel special. It was funny how we both had Chinese food on the mind. We got carryout from a new to us place last night that a friend told her about. It was swarming, but we didn't mind. We took it as a good sign, and it mostly was. She loved her sesame chicken, but I was lukewarm on my Thai chicken with lemongrass. It wasn't spicy enough for me. It didn't matter though because I was satisfied after my egg roll, the best I may ever have had. The family that runs the business is the sweetest and even if the food were terrible, I'd want to give them my business. Grandma tucked an envelope of hot sugary donuts in our bag for waiting so long. Next time, we'll order them as our appetizer. They are meant to be eaten fresh so first.

We came home with a movie only to find that the disk was scratched. We ditched The Zookeepers Wife and ordered Kidnapped on pay per view. When did Halle Berry forget how to act? At least the action movie kept us awake. Lily was a little scared when she wasn't laughing so she, Peanut, Tigger and I cozied up on the love-seat the two of us in our matching pjs. At bedtime, she and Peanut went to her room and Tigger followed me to mine. And here is where we come full circle...I slept like the dead...deep and dreamless sleep. I woke already indebted to the day ahead. I think I'm catching up.

No comments: