Sunday, April 30, 2017

Rainy Day


I woke this morning before my alarm. My dreams jolted me to consciousness. We were on vacation in Mexico and realized we had to pack and leave in 10 minutes. That was an impossible task. So much stuff so little time and space. The origin of this sleep interloper is transparent with all the moving going on in my personal and professional lives recently. I lie in the dark letting my heart rate ebb with each breath. Finally, it calmed and no longer felt like it was going to beat right out of my chest.

I set my alarm on Sunday mornings for church, but when I made my way downstairs and saw the gloomy, rainy day, I knew I was staying in my pjs for the duration. After this recent stretch - a toxic, turbulent, sensitive space - there's little doubt that the word of God would do me some good. Still I opted for the comforts of home. I'm not regretting it.

I've been spending the day doing things that bring me happiness and peace and purpose. I made breakfast three times: ours, hers and his. Eggs Benedict for us because we're still not sick of it, fruit and protein for her before a day of softball practice, and a big stack of pancakes for him after Sunday school. I just finished my second cup of coffee and about half of my book. I want to read it all, but I need a little something to look forward to this week and so I've put it down. Instead I'm going to get back in the kitchen, blast the jazz and make a big pot of chili for the chilly week ahead. I may bake some cookies, watch a movie or play a game. And at the end of the day, we'll have Sunday dinner together as a family and there will be no question of our blessings.

No comments: