Friday, October 21, 2016

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

I'm off today so I spent the first hour of the morning curled up with my book, one cat or another and a coffee with more cream than usual. Nothing makes me happier.

Jane Hamilton. The last of her works I read was Map of the World many years ago. I had The Excellent Lombards on my library list and it came in the other day. It's just right as its set on an apple orchard in Wisconsin. She's truly a master storyteller.


It's a crisp, sunny late October day and I just may end up at the orchard to pick more apples if I read a few more pages. 


Celebrating twenty-one years of marriage today. He is the best partner in every way. I am blessed and looking forward to many more years of togetherness through thick and thin. It sort of snuck up on me this year, but that's ok because I don't need a big celebration...I just need him by my side everyday.

Everything about this capture...the broody sky, the geese in skein, the peace and solitude. 


Spending time with this girl in the kitchen. She comes from a long line of passionate home cooks. She's not afraid to try something new or get her hands dirty.


Pie. It's funny how no one in my family is a pie person, and yet I was quite proud of this beaut and it was eaten up by mid-week despite the fact the ice cream disappeared.


Brioche. It really makes the most decadent French toast. Also the blueberries I scored this week at the market. They were as big as your head and bursting with flavor.


Being able to send Teddy off with a good breakfast for another round of golf. He's off today too, and he's hitting the links for the sixth consecutive day. He's played after school every day this week. It keeps him out of trouble.

His passion. Whatever he's doing he's all in whether it's running or baseball or golf. 


Conferences. We connected with Teddy's teachers last night, and they all speak highly of him as a student and person. I have such respect for what they do and the impact they can have on their learners.

Lily was invited to play on the A team next year. We're looking forward to a more competitive season.


Peanut's perch.


Lily's is back in her room and it is coming together nicely. We're working on the finishing touches now, which is to say...the fun part.

She has plans to "hang out" after school. It's a Friday afternoon thing. A group of friends walks from school to some establishment and they do what 12-13 year olds do...drink overpriced, over sugared frappuccinos and take silly selfies.

Fall cleaning. I get more serious about it than spring cleaning and I think it's because I'm in more of a nesting mode as the cooler temps set in.

A free and clear afternoon.

No comments: