Monday, October 14, 2013

On My Mind Monday

After coming across this survey at A Design So Vast this morning, I've had books on the brain all day. I simply could not resist.  I love this blog...especially her posts about books.

Author you’ve read the most books from (the grammar nerd in me has to say: from whom you have read the most books): It’s close between Amy Tan or Louise Erdrich.
Best Sequel Ever: None are coming to mind.  

Currently Reading: Sense and Sensibility one more time, Glass Castle again, Half Broke Horses for the first time, and A Wrinkle in Time with my daughter.

Drink of Choice While Reading: Coffee.

E-reader or Physical Book? I need a book in hand  to be able to dog ear the pages.

Fictional Character You Probably Would Have Actually Dated In High School: I dated Romeo only he turned out to be more Heathcliff...more wounded and destructive than star crossed and romantic.

Glad You Gave This Book A Chance: Crossing to Safety and Angle of Repose. Stegner can be wordy and a little elusive at first, but his prose is always so beautiful, and the characters heartfelt and real.

Hidden Gem Book: Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh.  Such wisdom.

Important Moment in your Reading Life: A multicultural lit class I took my sophomore year at Madison. Rafael Perrez-Torres walked into the first class in ripped jeans and a crisp white button down full of energy and ideas.  It was intoxicating.  Eye opening.  Liberating too.

Just Finished: The Kitchen House (Loved!  Loved!), and The Light Between Oceans (liked very much).

Kinds of Books You Won’t Read: Most sci-fi and any Stephanie Meyer. I tried Twilight, and found it painful.

Longest Book You’ve Read: Steinbeck’s East of Eden. It took me a year, but I loved it like a good friend.

Major book hangover because of: The Kitchen House. I’ve never been big on antebellum novels, but this one was hauntingly beautiful and still lingering.

Number of Bookcases You Own: 6 and counting.

One Book You Have Read Multiple Times: I don’t often reread, but when I do, it’s usually a classic.such as Pride and Prejudice, To Kill a Mockingbird or Great Gatsby.

Preferred Place To Read: In bed, but I seem to find the most time in my car while I’m waiting in pick up lines.

Quote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you’ve read: “We read to know we are not alone.” – C.S. Lewis

Reading Regret: Too many books, too little time.

Series You Started And Need To Finish (all books are out in series): Harry Potter.

Three of your All-Time Favorite Books: Wild by Cheryl Strayed, The Collected Poems, Mary Oliver, and Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible.  That was hard and is very incomplete.

Unapologetic Fangirl For: The memoir.

Very Excited For This Release More Than All The Others: A Valley of Amazement, Amy Tan; We are Water, Wally Lamb; The Death of Santini, Pat Conroy; Provence 1970, Luke Barr; The First Phone Call From Heaven, Mitch Albom; and Stitches, Anne Lamott.

Worst Bookish Habit: Reading too many books at once, and always adding to my stacks instead of depleting them.

X Marks The Spot: Start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book: Walking on Alligators A Book of Meditations for Writers by Susan Shaughnessy.  A thoughtful gift from my brother in law.

Your latest book purchase: Still Writing by Dani Shapiro.

ZZZ-snatcher book (last book that kept you up WAY late): A good book is more likely to get me up early than keep me up late. The Other Bolelyn Girl was the last that lured me out bed before the birds.