Thursday, October 10, 2013

Breathe

Yesterday was stellar on all levels and in every way.  Last night I lay awake thinking about just what made it so before drifting off to end it.  This morning before light and sound distracted me, I came to understand organically again what in my mind’s eye I know.  I have been holding my breath.  Literally inhaling...not exhaling, and I’m no David Blaine.  After a minute or two, I’d feel myself getting panicky and then start gulping air again hungrily.  These were not intentional deep breathing exercises, but rather an involuntary reflex.  My spontaneous, self-induced oxygen deprivation was the physical  response to where I was mentally.  Not here.  Not in the moment, but rather worrying about the future.  I was waiting for something to happen. At attention.  On alert.  On guard.

Yesterday I was breathing again.  I was taking deep cleansing breaths with strong lungs, clear head and open heart.  I felt like Julie Andrews only the hills were alive with the sound of my breath.

I didn’t write in the morning.  Instead I went out for a walk right after morning drop off.  There have been many a morning where I have logged on before 9:00 and suddenly it’s noon.   The days are short and the years are short is the refrain running through my brain this season.  Too short to spend hours on the Internet, I decided.  A mile in, I finished listening to The Kitchen House, and right away prayed that Grissom is working on a sequel.  I have my own hopes and dreams of what’s to come for Lavinia, Ellie and Will Smith.  I cued up The Glass Castle, and although I know the story is sad (I’ve read it before), I was laughing out loud.  The geese and the warblers didn’t seem to mind.   It was one of those mornings where you can use a sweatshirt in the shade, but then bake in the sun.  It’s the time of year for layers especially in the morning and evening.  I walked purposefully and worked those lungs steadily.  Nothing clears my head like a walk in the fresh air at the start of the day.

I flung open windows and doors when I got home.  The boys delighted in following the sun from room to room.  Not the chippie on high alert, nor the tail taunting squirrel could even coax them from their sun bathing spots.  I smiled as I noticed their orange marmalade coats shimmering like brand new bronze pennies.  I prepped dinner: pasta two ways.  Bolognese for the kids and chicken enchilada for the adults.   Double happiness.   I sang along with the Indigo Girls while I baked a banana bread and also a stored stash of chocolate chip cookie dough for after school cookwiches.  At 70 degrees, it was an ice cream kinda day.  Perhaps, one of the last.



Nothing centers me more than creating in my kitchen.  The purpose of chopping, chiffonading, stirring and slicing brings me stores of peace.  The order of loads of fresh stacked laundry and clean washed floors also fills my house…my life…with concord in lieu of chaos.  I thought of Karen Maezan Miller and decided that I need to read Hand Wash Cold again.  I never used to entertain the idea of reading a book twice…not even beloved titles, but I’m softening to the idea…I’m changing my maxims and mantras and mandates.  I started Walls’s Half Broke Horses.  I always meant to read it.  It’s all Jeanette Walls this go around.

After a couple chapters, it was time to pick up Miss Bit.  Every other Wednesday is early release.  T. Bone made plans to hang out with friends so I left my girl hanging at drop off with the promise of her own special surprise.  She loved the suspense as much as she loathed it, and I know it made her short day even shorter.  I threw her rubber boots and net in the trunk because it was just the finest day for froggin.’  She was happy with the after school detour.  I knew she would be.  She loves these trails and ponds as much as I do, but boy oh boy does she act like she owns them.  I must be as quiet as a mouse and slink along in her shadow lest I disturb a creature or critter she may creep up on and catch.  I don’t mind though because I have yet to catch a single frog.  She caught two yesterday.  Her bounty could have been more bountiful, but my empathetic frog whisperer passed on a few who looked too frightened for a visit.   Nothing fills my heart more than watching my kids be who they are meant to be.  Making their ways in the world.  Discovering passions.  Teaching me what they know and sharing what they find...sharing how they feel.  

She opted to skip swimming so we could carve pumpkins in the late afternoon sun.  She decided to make a frog.  It was perfect.  Well, it wasn’t, and yet it was in its very imperfection.  I pointed out that I was especially proud of her for forging ahead and finishing her creation even when the slippery, uneven surface wasn’t exactly cooperating.  I then balked at my spooky cat, and she repeated my fresh spoken words right back at me.  I decided it best to embrace my less than perfect jack o' lantern and lead by example not just epitaph.

As night fell, and fall is exactly what it does this time of year, the boys returned from football practice.  Coach executed the dinner I prepped, while I snuck upstairs for a hot shower.  After a delicious, carb-laden dinner, Coach and I turned off the television and talked until Miss Bit summoned.  It was time to read with her before bed.  She left and T. Bone soon snuggled in.  I closed my book and my eyes for a nanosecond and was out.  He nudged me and asked how I could fall asleep so quickly.  I was deep breathing.  That’s how he knew I was gone.  Contentment, I told him before I drifted off in deep peace for the night.