Friday, September 7, 2012

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

The cool, grey, gloomy day.  I came home from work, and cuddled up in bed with a book.  One cat was beside me and the other at my feet.  I got halfway through Ellen Gilchrist's The Writing Life and then I was lulled to sleep by the rain.  Both kids had friends over and the phone rang nonstop, yet still I slept.  Before I dozed off, I dogeared at least a dozen pages and no I don't own the book...yet.  I will order it as soon as I'm done here.

Now my house is quiet and I am awake.  The whole clan went to cheer on our high school football team.  It stopped raining, but they took umbrellas just in case.  I am sitting here enjoying the solitude and a cup of coffee.

These Gilchrist tidbits tonight:
Write what you know.  Show, don't tell.  Writing is rewriting.  Don't use modifiers unless they are very special and are earning their way.  Question every adjective and question adverbs twice or three or four times.  All of those things are probably true most of the time for every writer.  A writer who is writing at white heat with the muse at his shoulder doesn't need any rules.  All he needs to do is be a good typist.

I picked up The Wild  from the library yesterday.  At the beginning of the summer, I was 142 of 146 holds so I didn't expect it until 2013.  It was a pleasant surprise.  I'm stagnating with Virgin Time.  I think I should probably buy it so I can read it when I'm in the contemplative mood and want something heavier. 

The sky is the foreboding yellow of an ugly bruise right now.  The grass is greener and more plush than it's been all summer.  I wish I could capture the eerie contrast.

Instagram.  I'm a newbie, but I'm digging it.  I have to remember to take pictures with my phone.  I'm so used to reaching for my camera.

We survived the first week back to school.  For a short week, it sure lingered.

T. Bone's homework last night was to name 3 people he'd invite for dinner and why.  He chose:
1) Katniss Everdeen because she could share survival skills and entertaining stories.
2)  Forrest Gump, his favorite movie character...funny and kind, who could teach him to shrimp.
3)  Jackie Robinson because he changed the game of baseball and how T. Bone loves baseball.  
This dinner of moz marinara, pizza and chocolate bread pudding would take place on the beach in Bermuda hence the survival skills and shrimping.  


I also love that his favorite word is gooey.

I have love for so many words such as foofaraw, quasi, declasse, resonate, usurp, aesthetic, jimjams, quirky, faux pas, blasphemy, organic, hedonistic and palpable to name a few. 

Miss Bit bounced out of bed this morning like she was Gabby Douglas, and joyfully exclaimed, "It's Friday!"   I gave her a perfect score.  I wonder when I'll see that again?


Fristers.  Miss Bit fancies Miss O. not just a friend, but a big sister.


Saying  yes to a swim with Miss Bit this week.  I do believe our days are numbered for swimming in the lake.


Now the sky is striated pink and blue.


No comments: