Thursday, September 6, 2012

Confession

The other night while Miss Bit and I were cuddling in my bed reading, she broke the silence.  She said, "Mom, I hope you can live for as long as you can.  I want you to live longer than any other person ever has." I was at a loss for words as I fought the tears and choked on my response.  My response: a hug.  The words just never came.  Her very words cut straight to and through my core.  They were sweet, but also sharp because I finally had to face the truth.  Two truths really.  The first truth is that this is what keeps her awake at night.  The fear of death...of losing people she loves...it haunts my young old-souled girl.  And the second truth is even more startling.  I share her fears, and I also know they are not unfounded.  There is nothing more painful than losing someone pivotal in your life.  It doesn't matter if they are parent, spouse, child, sibling, or  friend.  Losing someone who holds a special place leaves a hole you can never plug or fill.  I don't want my children to ever have to feel that sort of pain, yet I know that they will.  They have to.  It is part of life.  It's the hardest, harshest part.  I know because it's happened to me.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This brought tears to my eyes, too. I agree with every word you wrote. Every word. . .

I'm sorry it happened to you. . . it happened to me, too.

Thank you for commenting on my blog today. It's nice to "meet" new people.

(I love your name.)

Anonymous said...

my kids have all shared similar things with me and it is hard, so hard, and a bit scary, too. i'm not sure there are words to speak to a child that can convey how scary it can be for us, too so a hug is always a good choice :)

Kristin said...

Thanks for your kind words Summer. I'm sorry it happened to you too. I love that you still open your eyes to the simple beauty around you. That's evident in the words and photographs you share.

Kristin said...

I agree. One of my first memories from childhood was a scary understanding of death dawning on me. I remember picturing a never ending black hole and feeling so small. When I told my Mom, she hugged me. Thank you for your comments today.