Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

At church this morning Father T. made a point of not just recognizing mothers, but each and every parishioner because everyone has a mom. I thought that, quite simply, was nice and true. After the crowning of Mary during today's mass, which T. Bone and Miss Bit took part in, my mother-in-law was all set to go light candles...one for her Mom and one for mine, but every single candle had already been lit. Both of our eyes welled up and over in that moment. There are just so many people who are missing their mothers. There are just so many wounded members of this club no one wants to join. For the first time since I said "goodbye" to my Mom a year and a half ago, I was able to really embrace the fact that it doesn't matter when you lost your mom...whether it's been decades, years, months, days...it still hurts deep within in ways you cannot fathom until it happens to you.

I didn't lose myself to the sadness though. Partially, because I've felt my Mom around me so much in the last month and also because I'm lucky to be loved by T. Bone and Miss Bit - my sweet souled children who wanted nothing more than to give me a happy day. How could I not oblige them?

And how could I possibly feel sad to wake up next to Miss Bit and a beautiful sunny day. She smiled at me with still sleepy eyes and a banner case of bed head. We snuggled together in the same bed all night during a sleepover at one of my favorite people's...my Aunt's. T. Bone eventually made his way downstairs and straight over to me to wish me a Happy Mother's Day and to offer me the top of his head for a kiss. He didn't even think to complain about wearing "handsome" clothes to church today. They both remembered the cards they made and the flowers for their Sunday school teachers not only in honor of Mother's Day, but the last day of Sunday school. Miss Bit's teacher recently miscarried, and it was obvious to me for the first time that T. Bone's teacher will be welcoming a new little one soon. How can we ever understand the mysteries of motherhood? How can we explain the connections between mothers and children living and dead?

Miss Bit squeezed into a pew in the back of the church with her "church" friends, and T. Bone sat between me and his Grandma in our usual spot up front. We all reunited after mass for lunch, cards, and gifts at our house. I'm happy to report that I got what I wanted...tickets to Jack Johnson! Just go on...go on!

T. Bone had a late afternoon baseball game. The Red Sox won. He's now humbly referring to himself as "The Closer," but so are a lot of the Sox fans (parents). During the inning that he pitched, one Rocky got on first and he struck out three more quickly...confidently. My brother came out to cheer on the team despite the fact that he had very little sleep the night before whilst celebrating his bachelor party. He too wished me a Happy Mother's Day and then asked how I was doing. It felt strange to admit, "OK." He admitted that he was feeling a little bit blue. The Mom in me wants to take his sadness away, yet I know how impossible a feat that is...only his Mom could do that.

My little family of four gathered around the dining room table for a quick dinner of hot dogs leftover from last night's boy's bbq and corn on the cob. Then we retired to the family room for The Amazing Race. At the end of this day, I can say that it was a good day. I am happy and I love and am loved...you can read it below for yourself.




A note to my Mom!
I just want you to know...
I love you with all my heart!
You are the BEST MOM in the world!
You put a smile on my face, and you make the best brownie sundays.
I love it when you come and cheer me on at my baseball games.
I want you to know you will always be my FAVORITE mom!
I love it when you take us on vacations and I can't wait until the next trip to Bermuda!
You will always shine in the sun and will be my favorite Mom!
Love,
T Bone
My Special Mom
My Mom is the most wonderful
Mom in the whole world!
She's as pretty as a budrfloi (butterfly).
She weighs 50 and she is 40 feet tall.
Her favorite food is bagGo (bagels).
When my Mom was little, she use to plaiu (play).
I think that my Mom looks funny when she Jrs is up (dresses up).
But I know she's really angry when she wenses (?).
I wish my Mom would gev me kad (give me candy) everyday.
I wouldn't trade my Mom for kotnkad (cotton candy).
By, Miss Bit

No comments: