Friday, July 24, 2009

Grateful Friday

Things both big and small for which I am thankful today…

  • Friends. We gathered poolside last night to remember how and why we are all kindred spirits…my Mom. I am still laughing today at some of the antics and feeling truly blessed to me one of “Kathy’s Gals.” Although we were all enjoying white wine, the hostess poured a single glass of red in honor of my Mom. At the end of the night, we all took a sip from the glass in honor of the communion of friendship and its everlasting life.

  • Fresh tomatoes from our very own yard. They are especially tasty in the sauce I made this week and then tossed with pasta, fresh basil and fresh mozzarella. When I was making the dish, my friend said my kitchen smelled as good as any fine Italian restaurant.

  • I am going to be a mini-van driving Mama in a mere hours. Yes, we took the plunge and will be proud owners of our new family room on wheels, and I’m trying to convince myself that I’m still cool because it has a sunroof!

  • Road trips. We’ll embark on our first real, as in measurable, road trip next week in our new van. We’re Michigan bound to visit family, the Coast Guard Festival, and Hanna Andersson.

  • Rumor has it that Reid is returning to The Bachelor next week. I think he’d get my vote, if I had one that is.

  • Willy Porter rocked last weekend. After the encore, I got a hug (or more like I took a hug).

  • Playdates. My daughter had 3 friends over to play Wednesday afternoon. The girls played perfectly happily together. I did not once have to intervene. They had so much fun that they all hid when their moms came to pick them up…no one wanted to leave. T Bone’s life is one never-ending playdate, and Miss Bit is often envious of this fact. He seriously came home from a friend’s Wednesday, walked through the front door, straight out the back door and to the neighbor’s. Because she’s only 4, she doesn’t have the same freedom. She had a friend over all afternoon Tuesday too. We were taking T Bone to a friend’s house and the girls were singing away in the car. As I walked him to the door, he said, “Geez I sure am glad I’m going to C’s house. Mom, you’re probably glad you get to get out of the car for a minute!”

  • A date with my husband last weekend. We were tired after a grueling afternoon of wheeling and dealing for our new car (I am also thankful for my husband's ability to wheel and deal), but we were childless and knew we had to get our third winds. We tried out a new restaurant and enjoyed a leisurely dinner just the two of us just like old times.

  • Time. Taking time this week to watch a movie in the middle of the day (http://www.amazon.com/Unfaithful-Full-Screen-Richard-Gere/dp/B00006RCO0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1248459514&sr=8-1), read a few pages here (http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Boy-Fathers-Journey-Addiction/dp/B001VEHZYS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248459578&sr=1-1) and there (http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Twilight-Saga-Stephenie-Meyer/dp/0316075639/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248459625&sr=1-1),and,and work on my photo albums. I’ve been staying off the computer (it's been a whole week) and trying to focus on other interests.

  • I think there is a little surprise planned for my upcoming 40th birthday. I am not going to deny the fact that I like surprises. I like them so much that 10 years ago when I found the invitation to my surprise 30th birthday bash, I put it back in the envelope without reading any of the details. I was pleasantly shocked the night of the party. I also love celebrations, especially those in my honor. I am looking forward to the dawning of a new decade. 38 was the hardest year of my life and 39 the saddest...I am of the mind set that it can really only get better from here.


No comments: