Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sunday & the 70's

I took my kids to sunday school this morning and then I had an hour to kill. My husband had to study for an graduate school exam he has tomorrow so I was on my own, which was actually a welcome respite...we had 4 of my son's 8 year old friends over for a sleepover last night. A little peace and solitude was deserved. I drove to the lake and I parked my car and just gazed out at the water. The sun was warm enough that I was able to turn off my car and just soak it in. The radio was tuned on low to a local station that was playing tunes from the 70's. Linda Ronstadt, The Carpentars, Jim Croce, Gordon Lightfoot...I felt like I was sitting in the back of my Mom's Honda Civic. For a minute I went there and it was real enough that could smell her Ritz perfume and hear her crooning. I felt happy even though missing her makes me sad. I'm thankful for all of the memories that make me smile and know that the time I had with her will sustain me until I see her again.

Now I cannot get Afternoon Delight out of my head. Today, I fear, I am destined to be stuck in the 70's.