Friday, February 20, 2009

Happy Friday...or not.

In my profile, I mention that blogging will be a "rewarding" way to explore my voice, but I have to admit that it is really different. At this point almost no one (soul sister, husband and Wayne - thanks Wayne for the first and only comment) has even read a thing I have written, and yet I feel like I am so very exposed, so vulnerable. That is mostly attributable to the fact that when I write in my journals, I am uncensored and raw. Let's face it...the grittier the better, but I am tentative at best to go there here. People that know me, know that I am not always (if ever) a glass is half full person, yet that is what I hear in my head when I'm writing here. Protect, sugar coat, make nice.

The truth of the matter is that I had a really terrible week. I have been fighting a nasty cold, feeling like I want to curl up and watch way too much trash t.v., missing my Mom something awful and I am beyond sick and tired of Washington and Hollywood. I can hardly believe that I used to throw Oscar parties and try to see as many of the nominated movies as possible. I did not see a single nominee this year. I cannot believe that I actually got the "Biggest Libber" award in college and was active in grass roots activism on campus because today I want to pack my bags and leave the US of A! Today I am swimming in a literal sea of cynicism.

But on the advice of my good friend who made me second guess what I am doing here this week when we had blogging 101 after dinner at my house, I am going to end on a positive note. Every Friday I journal about the things, people, experiences for which I am grateful. She suggested that I post that here. I may be a cynic at times, but I don't always want to be. I am a work in progress...a multi -faceted diamond in the rough and today my thankful list is shorter than usual, but it sure ain't empty!

  • A gift certificate from my valentine for another of Auriel's amazing massages and a quart of chocolate cherry kiss ice cream.
  • We have a winter weather advisory. We had so much snow in December and very little since. My daughter wants to make a snow man and now it looks like we will be able to this weekend. Let it snow!
  • Playlists. I made numerous in the past week. L-O-V-E them, now if Blogger would just let me post them.
  • I logged 15 miles this week and I hope to get to the gym tomorrow. I cannot imagine how toxic I would be this week without exercise.
  • A date with my girl this week. We went to see Coraline. She looked so hilarious in the 3-D glasses...they were so big on her little face that they wouldn't stay on. She reminded me of my Mom in her infamous Jackie O. sunglasses.
  • My boy took a shovel to the basketball court the other day so he could play some hoops before the bus came. I am thrilled by his love of the game (note the game changes with each season).
  • Dinner with J. the other night...it was just the girls as the boys went to the basketball game. It is always time well spent, although I did have a headache yesterday.
  • Said headache prompted my hubby to let me spend the night on the couch while he made dinner, showered the kids and put them to bed. That was better than chocoate cherry kiss ice cream!
  • Real Housewives of NYC...I could run on the dreadmill forever if they would have a continuous feed.
  • I used my brand new Kitchen Aid mixer for the first time and it was A-W-E-S-O-M-E! I added both ground flax and oat bran to my family's favorite banana bread and they loved it even more. It must have been the mixer. Had to be!
  • I called my Dad today and we had a really nice, really long conversation. I love my Dad. He is the salt of my earth.
  • My in laws are enjoying New Zealand for a month. When they come back it will be nice (or nicer) here too.
  • I do actually feel happier, more grateful, lighter after writing this list! There is power in positive thinking.

No comments: