Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Presence and Gratitude

 

It's only Wednesday, but I'm ready to call it a good week. Ted is feeling some relief after a clove oil treatment yesterday. He was able to workout and eat real food for dinner. He missed meat the past 5 days and  enjoyed the turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy that Mike made for dinner last night. I did too especially after a walk around the neighborhood after dark. The temperatures were on the rise, but the wind was brutal. I didn't warm up until I took an extra long, extra hot shower and curled up under covers to read with Hazel.

I finished Beautiful World, Where I You. I was looking forward to this read and thinking it would be a strong start to 2022, but it didn't deliver for me. I sort of despised all of the characters, but Felix the most. There was nothing redeemable about him except his kindness to a dog. Alice, Eileen and Simon were just pathetic. The emails between the women were too long and preachy so boring and annoying. One could argue the ending was happy, but I couldn't feel the feels. I've never read Sally Rooney before. I don't think I will again.

I picked up Liane Moriarity's Apples Never Fall and fell into it. That proves I'm not a book snob. This is just pure entertaining chick lit, which definitely has its time and place. Apparently that place is mid January. I forced myself to turn my lights out at a decent hour hoping to get up early for a workout, but I didn't sleep well. Mike was snoring so I moved into Ted's room in the wee hours. He was asleep on the couch. And then Gus came to visit me when he heard my alarm. He was all snuggles and purrs. I couldn't bring myself to leave him because of the three, he's the most catlike, which is to say aloof. When he wants lovin, he gets it. He is impossible to resist. So is the warmth of bed in the middle of January. And my knee is sore. That's a new affliction I'm not happy about, but I'm not complaining too much either because I have a constant complainer in my life and daily I get to hear about her never ending list of ailments.

I threw my hair in a bun, made a turkey sandwich on hearty wheat bread for lunch and now I'm headed to work very aware and appreciative of the little things that matter big. The act of coming here always reminds me to be.here.now and to be grateful.


 



No comments: