Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Weekending

Last week I was a day ahead and this week I'm a day behind. Another weekend is already in the purview. Four day work weeks are the very best. So are four day weekends. There's enough time to be on and then off.

I kicked off the weekend Thursday night with a lovely visit with Sue.  It was the perfect chilly night for some hearty reds. I threw together a Caesar salad and instead of croutons, I made a loaf of buttery garlic bread. Gus joined us in the living room and curled up at Sue's side.

I relished in an easy Friday morning. Two cups of strong coffee, a couple chapters, play time with the kit kats who are crazy after breakfast, and tending to my plants. It was bone-chilling cold and rainy, but I made my way to the nursery as planned. It was a pleasant experience in spite of the weather. Everyone was friendly, smiling, maskless, and I found my strepto carpella. Only two this year because I'm feeling more color, but it wouldn't be summer without my beloved blue bells. I was inspired to get in the yard over the weekend to keep up with weeding. I find this kind of tending to be meditative and metaphorical...the garden a representation of life. And I must say that the yard is looking good. Life too.

We finally had our family meeting to get on the same page before summer changes everything. It's good to set expectations. Everyone can and will pitch in, and I've made it known that I don't want to prod and nag. Lily's world is opening up as she's in the last week of school with just a final research paper looming. I almost have my dining room table back. I sense a lightness in her I haven't seen for a stretch. She spent lots of time with friends this weekend as it should be. Ted will be starting his internship next week so his days will be more scheduled, but I never worry about him finding time for fun. There was good family time too: a late afternoon walk with Lily, cards with Ted in the middle of the day, 9 holes on the holiday.

It was also nice to have some alone time while Mike was out of town and the kids were out and about. I puttered around. I worked on projects and pictures. I have at least 500 of the kit kats. I worked out, read and watched forgettable television. Mike came home refreshed from a stint at the cabin in time to participate in judging the burger challenge at my dad's Sunday. He's working on a recipe for a contest and it's the least we could do to help him since he plans to take us to Hawaii if he wins. I was sous chef, my sil was stylist and photographer, Mike and Judy were tasters and my brother the entertainment. The kids stayed home citing other plans and aversions to foie gras and fungi. They lack the palettes for Bob's Beef Wellington Burgers. Can you say decadent?! It was as fun an evening as delicious. We all love a good competition and collaboration is comradery.

Monday really was the star of the weekend weather-wise. It was a little weird not to be at the lake, but it was also nice to be home with my four...well seven. 


No comments: