Thursday, June 10, 2021

About Last Night

 


So last night we had reservations for dinner downtown at 8:15. When I got home at 4 o' clock, the last thing I wanted to do was to go out 4 hours later, but I planned this family date night and I knew it would be a fun celebration of the kids' successful school years. A nap and a glass of rose' much improved my mood. 

This pandemic has definitely reinforced the happy homebody in me. Going out causes some anxiety and not because I'm afraid of the virus. I think I've just become accustomed to my small, safe world. You wouldn't know it, but I'm an introvert and I morph into a nervous extravert when I am overstimulated or overwhelmed.

And here's the thing...I am almost always glad when I get out of my normal. Last night was no exception.

It was a beautiful evening to be out and about in our city. We walked the streets before dinner taking in the public artwork and the twilight air. It was our first time at the Capital Grille and we all approved of the cozy sheik atmosphere. We toasted to our new junior and senior and praised them for their hard work and commitments to success. We don't have to hover over their studies or worry about deadlines. I guess it's not so bad that they don't make their beds often or ever put away their clean laundry.

So often I wax on about the passage of time, but last night I had an epiphany...I sort of love where we are right now. Young adults are pretty awesome and especially Lily and Teddy. The meal was absolutely 5 stars, but the company was off the charts. My kids are interesting and personable and fun to be with. They know how to make conversation, the have good manners (although truth be told Ted did toss a piece of bread across the table) and very good taste. Teddy went for the lobster bisque and cleaned his bowl. He also ate every bite of his Kona crusted 18 oz T bone. Lily decided that the mushrooms in her risotto made the dish. Our steaks were cooked to perfection, and we almost asked for the mashed potato recipe. We ate every bite of our molten lava cakes and berries and cream.

My mom was on my mind all night. The Grille reminded me so much of her favorite restaurant back in the day. I cannot tell you how many beef minuets I ate at Grenadiers and only their lobster bisque was better than last night's delicious bowl. Grenadiers is gone now just like my mom. Lily and I went to the bathroom and Al Jarreau's I'll Be Here For You was piped in on the speaker. My mom was a fan of his too. I knew that was a nod to the thin veil separating us. I told Lily and she wasn't surprised. She knows all about signs.

We all agreed to take the long way home through the city and along the lake singing to the tunes on the radio. It was sort of magic. And I'm just so grateful that we have a whole summer of nights together.

No comments: