Tuesday, June 29, 2021

A Very Good Day

I snoozed almost straight through the 8 o'clock hour. It's my intention to get up between 8:00 and 8:59 every day. I didn't sleep well with Hazel wedged between me and my guy. She's a talker, apparently, even in her sleep. When I saw it was a rainy morning, it put a little spring in my step. A stormy day is to me what a sunny day is to most. Truth. I was out the door early, which is to say before Lils returned from her morning weightlifting class. She had warranted and slight trepidation about her second day as a camp counselor - she helped rescue a little girl from the bottom of the pool within the first hour of the first day. When the life guard asked if anyone knew CPR, she called 911 STAT. The paramedics were on site in 4 minutes and the little girl is going to be fine. Once she was in the care of the medics, Lils consoled her own group of scared 7 year olds. She never lost her cool and I have to say that she is such a strong, sensible young woman. I'm sorry she had to go through this, but I am certainly proud of the way she handled herself.

Work was slow so I took off in the middle of the day to tend to my charges. The traffic is the worst part of cat sitting across town while my aunt and uncle are off building a house in Arizona. Going midday meant almost no traffic even with the rain. The rain meant I didn't have to water their flowers today so I was back in the office in an hour. I rarely take a lunch since my hours are working out to be 10 to 3, but sometimes it's nice to change things up. Today that was definitely the case.

I curled up in bed with my new book when I got home and 50 pages later I was asleep for almost 2 hours. I woke up feeling disoriented as to day and time, and then refreshed. I rallied for a quick, sweaty workout. When I finished, I found the boys making dinner. I poured a glass of wine and played with the kit kats, who had new toys in the mail today, while Ted tended to the Jasmine rice and Mike was on the veg and the grill. I marinated chops and breasts in a simple soy/hoisin/chili marinade last night and they were simply delicious. 

The Brewers game was on in the kitchen and the Bucks game in the family room. We ate in front of the tvs. After dinner, Ted left to watch the second half with friends and Lils went to get ice cream with a girlfriend. Mike and I suffered through a disappointing game and now I'm here just wanting to capture this day that was not out of the ordinary and yet it was extraordinary. Capisce?






No comments: