Friday, July 2, 2021

Grateful Friday

 

I slept in an extra half hour this morning because I could. I had the day off. All three kits kats were climbing the stairs to get someone up just as I was coming down. Hazel was scolding the late breakfast. The thermometer on the kitchen window said 67 degrees. That is my perfect morning temp. I opened all the windows and doors, made my celery juice and sat down to read with a cup of coffee. I have not spent enough mornings this way lately. I vowed right then and there that can and will change.

I made breakfast bagels for the boys because I could, and I made all the beds fresh and clean becuase I make them best. Lils and I set out on errands, and while that's not the most fun way to spend the day off, everything is more fun when she's in tow. Plus she's really good at reigning me in when I get over exuberant at the party store or the bakery. I'm a sucker for holiday paraphernalia so I was surprised we left with a single bag of red white and blue loot. At our favorite little bakery in the middle of the city, we ordered cinnamon buns and nothing else. I tried to tempt her with all the beautiful pastries and she held firm. She reminded me that the weekend will be rather indulgent. We tag teamed cat sitting and plant watering. She's always willing to help and I want to note that she will do so because that's what you do. My aunt and uncle left an envelope of cash for us, and on the first day she said...we're not taking that. Not many 16 year olds would say that. 

We drove clear across town on city streets - some charming, some less - trying to avoid the freeway back ups. We sang along to Hamilton the whole ride, which ended up taking longer than if we had just taken the interstate, but she only jabbed me a little. Then she helped me in the kitchen getting things ready for the lake this weekend. She made granola and a festive cookie cake, and I made a pan of breakfast enchiladas.

She's out with friends now and Ted just got home from the golf course. He was paired up with a couple who he bonded with over Door County and business. He exchanged contact info with them. That's Ted. He makes friends with everyone everywhere. We really don't need to worry about him either.

We're headed to the lake tomorrow for July Fourth fun. We used to host the holiday here, but there's really nothing like fireworks on the beach over Lake Michigan. The sky is alight up and down the shore. And it's going to be 90 degrees the next few days. I have a stack of books, a stocked cooler and no place I'd rather be, and I'm grateful for that today.

No comments: