Thursday, July 8, 2021

4th of July Weekending


Fourth of July at Windmill Beach has a special place in my heart. The water and the drinks are cold, the sand and the sun are hot, and the fireworks are prolific. Our big show was Saturday. My brother and sil are the most inviting host and hostess, and my brother is also a pyro master. But many other neighbors partake so whether you look north or south, you see bursts from dusk to dark all along the coast. I definitely get my fireworks fill over the holiday weekend, but I can never get enough of the beach.

Saturday it was steamy out. As hot as the air was, the water was just that cold. Most of us managed to get in, and the kiddos somehow stay in more than out. It was quintessential bbq beach day: Spike Ball, kayaking, paddle boarding, day drinking, Yacht Rock playing, burgers and hot dogs on the grill at gloaming perfection. When the party broke up after dark, the fam headed to the beach for a night swim. Night swimming also holds a singular place in my heart. The water was just as cold if not colder than during the day, but going in and under is a long lasting thrill and a tribute to being alive. It's hard to take the plunge, but also necessary and worth it.

Sunday morning Teddy and Uncle B Bone had an early tee time because they are crazy. All the rest of us wanted was another day on the beach, but first I ran home to check on the kitties. They were happy to see me and to be fed, but they did quite well in the 48 hours they were home alone for the first time. I didn't stay long because I was in charge of breakfast and also eager to claim my beach chair. The air was much cooler Sunday and the water was warmer. It was a welcome change in weather. The activities were the same although we didn't set off fireworks because they were all gone. Lily suggested a gloaming family beach walk. It was a lovely idea and something we will do again. Teddy napped, but next time he'll join us. While we waded in the water and down the beach at that liminal time, we were treated to more patriotic displays. And then we went night swimming again before dinner because why not?

We packed up and headed home early Monday. Teddy had another tee time, Lils had plans and Mike and I recovered and reset for dinner with my parents. We threw steaks on the grill and I made a Caesar salad, which is a favorite of my dad and my girl's. The guys taught Teddy how to play cribbage. The girls chatted and snuggled kitties. As they drove off with the top down at twilight, I thought what a lovely night...what a beautiful weekend of family and friends and celebrating our country.  
 
 


 

























No comments: