Friday, July 9, 2021

Dear Lily

 

It was a treat to spend uninterrupted quality time together at Windmill Beach this past weekend. It's your happy place. Mine too. We're blessed that we get to share in the magic of family time at the beach. I was telling a story Saturday about how you could swim before you could walk. It's almost true. You've been a water lover from the start. Me too. Fancy that...we two fire signs favoring the wet stuff. You get right in though while I have to take my time. You've mastered mind over matter. I'm still working on it.

This year you gravitated to the ladies instead of the kiddos during the festivities. You preferred adult conversation and even told your aunt how very much you liked her girlfriends after they left. I happened to overhear that te ta tete, and I was impressed that you took the time to share your affinity. I have to share that I received many compliments about you as well young lady.

I was looking back on the pictures from the weekend and I see a lightness in you I haven't seen for awhile. I blame that on the stress of junior year and Covid. I love the shots of you with Floaty Mingo because it reminds me you are only on the edge of seventeen. You blew that floaty up all by yourself and then you lolled around the lake without a care in the world in your pink bikini and a pair of my old sunglasses.


 I'm happy to see you happy. You have claimed Finn and the two of you have closely bonded. Of course, you love all three of the kit kats, but he is your guy...you are his person. You love your job and the kids in your group even the annoying and naughty ones. You are kind of a rock star amongst counselors and you're a little proud of that. And after work every night, you are spending time with friends. After a year of screens and social distancing, I love that you and E decided to go out for a moonlight stroll in the middle of the week. Tonight you're going to the Brewer's game. You are quite passionate about baseball this summer. You never miss a game. This will be the first in person this season, but not the last I am sure.

August is going to be a busy month of birthdays and college visits and soaking in summer. You asked to go away this summer. We're all missing Webb Lake, but we were too late in booking. At this point, we're thinking about spring break because there's so much going on that it's hard to break away for a week right now. We're lucky we can escape to Windmill Beach with 30 minutes notice. Believe me, we'll be doing that!

I love you Cutie and I'm so blessed you are mine,

Mom



No comments: