Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Everything


It felt like fall these past few days, and I'm not going to lie...it was sort of wonderful. I think I feel comfortable saying that because I know the heat and humidity are returning today. It's been cozy reading weather. My favorite. Last night Finn tucked himself in bed beside me and was the sweetest little reading buddy. I finished one book and started another. Both of them thrillers, which is an easy summer genre. Hazel made her way to bed at lights out and she kept me mostly awake most of the night. Sister can purr like a mufferless engine. She also went from the top of my pillows where she kept nuzzling my ear and biting my bun to under the covers seeking my hands for pets and talking rather loudly when she felt the urge. I know I should have removed her, but have you seen her? She's just the most honeyed little lady and Mike is traveling so I have the whole bed to myself.  I'm dragging a bit today.

I have a lot on my mind right now. The world feels heavy: the wide world and my small one. Most of my current baggage is admittedly first world, but it's still mine and burdensome. First and foremost, we are scrambling to find a place for Ted to live next year partially due to circumstance and then to the fact that he's a 20 year old optimist who believes that things will always work out. There are very very few (like 2) two bedroom campus area apartments available for rent this fall. Fingers crossed he gets one of them. He doesn't seem too worried. A small part of me wonders if he doesn't just want to stay home where he gets meals, laundry and cuddly kittens. Hmmm...he did call me earlier to ask what's for dinner. And shhh, but I sort of love my little kitchen muse.

I love having him home...usually, but I am looking forward to a normal year of college for him. The past year and a half have been beyond strange. These are supposed to be some of the best years of his life...not the most unusual or unsettling.

So there are the logistics of securing a place and then coordinating moving out of his current apartment and across town. We're finally doing some overdue college visits with Lily. She wants to go to UW so fingers crossed there too because even though she's an exceptional student, admissions are tougher and tougher. And then there's just the eking out the wonderfulness that is summer.

Since the pandemic, I've eschewed plans. We've become rather spontaneous at Casa Wags and it suits us. I was on the phone with my girlfriend Friday evening and it seemed silly we weren't together in person so she came with a cold chardonnay and I threw in a pizza and it was sort of perfect. After a Saturday of taking care of business, Mike was on the phone with his brother and he invited him for dinner. I called to invite Jess too. It was a quintessential summer night that begged company. I made Moroccan Chicken which is always a hit with my family. It's a tad embarrassing to be yumming your way through your own cooking though, but I tell you that combo of yogurt and harissa and ras el hout is a party in your mouth. A really fun party!

And it's just occurred to me that a healthy portion of my stress may be my now unhealthy relationship with plans and obligations. I'd rather come what may. Case in point. It's dusk and Teddy just came home from a home run derby with friends and now they're playing basketball in the yard. The honey soy glazed chicken thighs are almost ready and although I didn't plan to feed four hungry guys, I'm happy to. And some day when I'm at one of their weddings they'll say remember when Mrs. Wags had that killer dinner ready for us when she didn't even know we were coming. I'll blush and say, it was nothing all the while knowing it was everything.

A cute girl and her cute cat
 

Thank you Jess...snap dragons are one of my favorites.
 
What you eat with Moroccan Chicken.
 
What you don't eat.
 
After dinner
 
At 4 months, Gus is catching up to Hazel.

Go Brewers!
 
Go Bucks!
 
Reading Buddy.
 
Plenty




No comments: