Wednesday, December 23, 2020

The Eve Eve

 


Have I said that it doesn't feel like Christmas is coming? coming as in tomorrow. Today it's a balmy 50 degrees. The pavement is wet from rain not snow. And this weather is but one thing tripping me up.

The kids finished their shopping yesterday. Even though I was done, a few last minute items found their way into my Amazon cart. Damn Jeff Bezos!. I am my mother's daughter. She always made sure that there were an equal number of packages for all of us under the tree. As hard as I try to resist, I've got this same penchant.

Today I need to grocery shop. I'm dreading it because I fear that's everyone's MO. I'm worried I won't find Brussels's sprouts and white roses. I know wah wah. I also need to stop in at work even though I am off today. I'm not complaining though. It's a good thing that I'm ending this year and starting next with projects. I must get out for a walk at some time too because I ate the donuts my brother dropped off from our favorite Oostburg bakery for dinner last night. And I don't eat donuts. At some point, Candace is coming by to drop off some cookies her neighbor baked for me. I hope she'll stay for a glass of wine by the tree.

This deserves a little aside. Candace stopped by while I was finishing up baking on Saturday. I was assembling trays of cookies for neighbors and friends. Candace is a dear friend who always gets cookies, but I didn't know she was coming. I gave her one of the trays and added extra for Gordon, who is spending his first Christmas without his partner. Candace texted me later to tell me that Gordon could not pick a favorite and had almost eaten them all. Now he's sending me cookies. Cookies I don't need, and yet very much appreciate because this is Gordon's act of kindness. Kindness begets kindness and isn't that a beautiful thing. Isn't that what Christmas is all about? Generosity, not of expensive things, but in acts, thoughts and in spirit.



 
My brother stopped in on Saturday afternoon as well. It was a nice surprise. He and Teddy played a game of chess and we chatted while I baked. Brad was my first assistant baker when we were just kids. I make some of the same cookies we made eons ago today because #foodismemories. I sent him home with a tray because #foodislove.

Last night I called my aunt to thank her for the beautiful poinsettia that was delivered to my door Sunday. I told her I made her Kris Kringles over the weekend and I shared that I thought of her while I baked them. I reminded her that I have her handwritten recipe in my binder protected in a sleeve. She got what I was saying. We talked until my phone died. I wish I could drive around the lake and go visit my aunt and my uncle. This pandemic is especially difficult and isolating for older people. 

Sunday after church we went out for breakfast on busy igloo lined Downer Avenue and I actually forgot about Covid for awhile. I cannot remember the last time we went out for breakfast. We crammed into a booth at The Pancake House starving. Ted ordered an omelet as big as a plate, a not so short stack of pancakes and a Nutella crepe. He almost finished all his plates. People were out and about on the sunny day. We drove home along the lake. The streets were crowded with people and dogs. So many dogs. 




 I have a confession to make. I started researching puppies this week. I'm thinking small dog and fond of Teddy Bears, Malti and Cava Poos. Mike doesn't want a dog. The kids would rather a big dog, but will settle for any dog. Am I crazy? I miss Tigger so much and I cannot imagine a cat filling his paws. And let's face it, 2020 is the year of the pivot.

I hear alarms ringing so the rest of the house is on the rise. That's my cue to skedaddle. 

Before I go, let me just share my wish to anyone that shows up here...I hope you find some peace and joy in these upcoming days of wonder and light.

No comments: