Wednesday, September 30, 2020

October Eve

It dawned on me that tomorrow is the first day of October. I almost skipped the farmer's market today because I really don't need anything, but then I stopped by at the last minute knowing that there are only a few more weeks before harvest's end. I stocked up on onions again, a basket of green peppers as Lily loves them and another round of tomatoes, the last of the season. I scored another yellow watermelon. Lily ate the entire sunshiney beaut I cut last week. It's sweeter than the red. Next week I'll start stocking up on squash. They last for months in the pantry.

Then I came home and cleaned out the refrig. I am still adjusting to Teddy's absence at mealtime. I'm overbuying and undercooking. Lily is perfectly happy going to Qdoba or Potbelly most nights after golf. Mike and I are good with cheese and crackers, a sandwich or leftovers. It's been a nice break, but I miss feeding people. Tomorrow I'm bringing the fixings for BLTs for the office. I have to share these juicy tomatoes and the nice loaf of grainy bread I scored at the bakery. Linda and Alan are happy. It's a win win.

Ted's coming home tomorrow for a visit, My dad called to tell me what a con man he is. My son asked grandpa to pick him up since he's only 45 minutes from Madison. Ted's brilliant idea was to then drive the rest of the way home in one of grandpa's cars. He gets a ride and a car. Smart. I know he's bringing home his laundry. He's been gone a month and has not done a load. Apparently, the basement is scary. Both my dad and Lily backed up that statement btw. I think he's looking forward to a change of scenery. His life has been confined to his small apartment, which we all admit is so much better than it could be. We're also having a celebration for my dad's birthday and he wouldn't miss that. I'll send him back with clean clothes and groceries. He ate his last pound of ground chicken this week and said that the cupboards are about bare. I think the grocery stores must be scary too.

I'm supposed to be on a Zoom call right now to learn about plans to switch to a hybrid platform at the high school. It's not launching (system overload), but I'm not too concerned because I'm not in the mood to listen to people on soap boxes and I don't really think it's going to happen. If you listen to the news, which I'm doing less and less, our state is having a surge. Yet, I wish it would. Lily is ready to go back to school. Most of the schools in our area that are doing the hybrid plan are succeeding so I think it's possible just not probable. I digress though...I don't want to talk about Covid or debates or anything polarizing. 

I want to talk about the way that the leaves are showy as they turn jewel-toned along the river. I want to think about the cozy new sherpa sweatshirt I got that will be perfect for chilly fall walks. I want to focus on the soups and stews I'll make that offer comfort as daylight fades. The thing is October is my favorite month of the year. I love November and December too. I love the holidays, the focus on family time, making memories, the hygge of home. And showing up here because it reminds me to pay attention to the extraordinary ordinary and to be.here.now.

No comments: