Saturday, September 5, 2020

Grateful Every Day

I give thanks for...

Lily driving herself to and from work for the first time safely. Then she picked up a friend and went out for dinner.



Life 360. It is a worried parent's best friend. And yes, Mike and I watched her practically the whole way to work and then checked in on her several times throughout the night. I trust her, but still I fret.

Face Time. It keeps me connected with Teddy. Last night I called him just to check in. .We're at that point in the separation where we talk at least once a day. It was a good thing I called too. He and Nay Nay we working out in their study turned workout room (a much better use for 3 guys) and then were going to make chicken tacos, but the meat was still in the freezer. I know that Teddy would have no idea what to do with frozen meat.

Lily survived her first week of classes. She only overslept once, complained a few times and had a couple technical difficulties. She's not a fan of the virtual learning at all. This go around is much different than last spring. This is dive right in to heady content, critical thinking, lots of  homework. She's taking 3 AP classes and she'll be busy that's for sure.

Teddy's first week went well too. All of his classes are virtual. He lives in the backyard of the business school he'll not step foot in all semester. Isn't it ironic? He's most excited that his professor for his entrepreneurship course is the director for the Center for Entrepreneurship. Teddy's head is packed full of ideas for businesses he wants to start so he's planning on getting to know this guy real well.

Mother Nature got the memo. We've had the most beautiful week of weather for back to school. It's cool in the mornings and evenings while perfectly pleasant all day long. It's been a treat to throw open all the windows and let the fresh air in. I must admit that I'm not yet ready for what is to come. It saddens me that my flowers have grown leggy and that my most proficient bloomers are waning. My herbs have gone to seed. The maple has already started to turn.. The grass rarely needs cutting and there are fewer and fewer fireflies once night falls. And yes, the days are growing noticeably shorter.



Happy hour. This week Candace came with a chilled bottle of chardonnay one night and Jess came the next for margaritas and quesadillas.


When my guy plans and executes a meal solo. I mentioned that I bought some beef short ribs and did he want to take a stab at them. I came home from work to a house that smelled like fall. He made a pot of stew and it was delicious. And then he offered to clean up too, but I couldn't be that greedy.


Before we go full boar into a comfort food line up, there are still a couple months of harvest. I made quite a haul at the farmer's market this week and I have big plans for all the produce. I immediately made this tomato galette and it didn't last long.




Lily's found some kitchen inspiration this week. She made a roasted tomato soup that all her friends raved about.


           This simple asparagus soup that makes a perfect light summer dinner.


Finding a little inspiration at Casa Wags too. It's amazing what new shelves and a new arrangement can lead to. We've hired a painter for a couple jobs we've never been inclined to take on and also to paint the family room again. Mike refuses to do so a third time.


I'm almost through Stray. Danler's second memoir is raw. I'm reminded that we're all wounded survivors.

Dinner with Pete and Sue tonight. Early so we can enjoy the patio.  Another galette to enjoy with tomatoes from her garden.


Dinner with Pat and Candace tomorrow. We're hosting. but she's bringing her famous lasagna. I'm getting spoiled here.

My sweet and constant companion.





No comments: